The new version of the HD Key Cam is now out! 808 #16 key cam

Xmas eve I received the new version of the Key Cam, the #16. It has a number of improvements over the 11#. It's easily configured using a software utility you can download from RC Groups New #16 Configurable HD Key Cam thread
An LED flashes when it's recording which is a great help as previously you pressed, there were 3 quick flashes but no indication if it was recording.

A review and test clip here. Quality is nowhere good as it is in reality It degraded in editing and then was made worse by YouTube.

Great little cam for mounting on RC aircraft as many of us have found out. There are loads of clips on here and my YouTube channel that show the quality of the HD Key Cam.

Mine came in 9 days from Hong Kong, but buy from one of the recommended dealers listed on the RC Groups 11# thread.

Oh, and it's less that £30 to buy!

Edited By Bob Moore on 27/12/2011 12:19:58

Advert

• 5 weeks later...
New firmware version v 18 is out now for the 16# type 808. No more brown green colour hunting and even better colour balance. You can get the download from RC Groups 16# thread.

Short test clip here. Not flying sadly, general scenes that give an idea of the quality and colours.

And a couple of other recent paragliding clips shot entirely with the 11# HD Key cam.

Good for a £25 camera!

!

Edited By Bob Moore on 28/01/2012 21:17:15

• 1 month later...

Well at long last I've ordered one and it's arrived thgrough my letter box.

Testing around the house the focus seems a bit soft but I'm not going to change anything until I've established a bench mark. Anyday now I'll do some field testing on aircraft & as a capcam (inspired by Tim Mackey). From there I'll look at if the focus can be improved. In all other respects I'm pretty happy as daylight colours.saturation/contrast/gamma appear to be okay.

Indoors its better than other devices I have but not perfect but to be perfect in all conditions; an unacheivable utopia in my opinion. As long as I get decent video at the field in daylight I'll be staisfied because that's teh purpose I bought it for.

beerteeth 2

Next post I'll be sobe rtoo!

Edited By Ian Jones on 18/03/2012 02:47:11

Hi Danny

Two suppliers are listed in the FAQ's at the start of this thread. The first few posts tell you want you need to know. There is some easy to use configuration software in the FAQ's as well. The default is flashing light off, so you have to download the config prog, plug in and set it up the way you want. It's easy and all there in the FAQ's.

There's a slight pink hue in the centre of the video but new cameras are being shipped with a different camera module now that eliminates this problem.

Here's my latest video. Not model flying but it is flying!  Some of it with Deal Extreme fisheye lense.

Edited By Bob Moore on 18/03/2012 11:53:27

Edited By Bob Moore on 18/03/2012 12:27:36

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 13/07/2012 14:29:44

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned above the 'pink hue' that the camera suffered in some clips. I have now fitted the new type camera module ($8.99 from the e bay supplier) and am more than happy with the colour balance and quality.

My latest flying video here. Paragliding not model flying but some interest was expressed in my flying vids!

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 13/07/2012 14:30:53