Kyosho Calmato

Can anyone help clarify the two different versions of this aircraft please? One has the part number of 10050 (the earlier one) and the latest is 10051. From looking at the pictures it seems like the newer one may have a slimmer fus but i'm not sure. Does anyone know the significant differences? There is a £20 to £30 price difference on the 'net. I am guessing that the cheaper ones are the older version.

I'm going to be using this as an intro back in RC flying after a 5 year lay off so i will want to progress through to aerobatics as soon as i'm able. To that end I have another question. If I use the 3s 4500 lipo like suggested for longer flight times will it end up nose heavy and hard to trim for aerobatics? Normally nose heaviness is not too big a problem (as long as it's not excessive) as it's easy to add a little weight to the tail.

Thanks in advance.

SW

Mid way down THIS post is recommended setup.

Edited By Tim Mackey on 02/01/2012 18:48:44

Edited By Tim Mackey on 02/01/2012 18:49:36

Advert

If you were flying low-wingers before have you considered the Calmato Sports? I doubt your skills will have deteriorated much in the last five years (in my experience that kind of muscle memory quickly returns) and a high-winged trainer does have its limitations. The Calmato sports is a really nice flying plane and doesn't have any nasty vices. I'm a fully signed up member of it's fan club. Just food for thought! When I returned to flying I dusted off the high-wing trainer after 15 years in storage but after a few months flying got bored and moved on to more "exciting" planes. Just a thought!

Steve,

The TR is the current model, and I can highly recommend it!

My SO flies one as her everyday hack. A 3S 4500 pack fits nicely in the front if you put the ESC beneath the battery tray.

It's a nice trainer on reduced throws, but capable of the full B schedule on full rates.

tim

Edited By Tim Hooper on 03/01/2012 08:06:18

Thanks Tim,

That's the plane I'm going with, thanks for you reassurance re the batteries. Was in a 'past life' a fixed wing examiner so my aim is to pass the B again and try to get back to a reasonable standard of skill. Never going to be a hot shot but i would like to get back to somewhere near where I was before the 'change of life' !!!

SW

Steve,

Given that the model happily pootle around at half throttle when circuit training, and also given that I never use a timer, I'd say a comfortable 10-12 minutes.

At full whack it draws nearly 50A (if I remember correctly) which is around 11C from a 4500Mah pack. 60mins divided by 11 = nearly 6 mins at full throttle. Theoretically......

You'll have no trouble with this one, Steve. There are two other Calmatos in Kyosho's range - all using the same power set-up. Both are low-wingers;

One uses the same wing as the high-winger, whilst the other uses a smaller, tapered wing and is a different animal altogether!

tim

Posted by steve watkin on 04/01/2012 19:23:06:
So I'm going to need a 60A speed controller?
Will this be OK-- http://www.giantcod.co.uk/black-mantis-60amp-speedcontroller-p-402907.html or do you have any better suggestions?

No you wont
What you need is a 61 2St, glow fuel, a starter n' stuff

BB ----- Keep it oily n'messy dept

Edited By BB on 04/01/2012 19:30:48

Hey BB I gave all that up about 5 years ago and moved on to getting fit by doing lots of cycling. But now I'm returning to RC for the spring and want to fly more locally and the only option is with this new fangled electric thingy!
Still got countless glows and even diesels up stairs but I like the idea of electric even if it's just to make the airframes last longer.
Thinking about it, i may just get the Mills out and give it a run, be the first time I've started a diesel for about 5 years.

Steve,

Ignore BB - he has no idea what he's talking about. A .61 would be far too much for the Calmato. Now if he'd suggested a .32 - .40, then I just might give his suggestion some credence......

A 60A ESC should be just right. I can't comment on the Mantis range myself, but I've had no problems at all with any of Turnigy Plush range since I started using them a couple of years ago.

tim

Thanks Tim,

I'm not taking BB too seriously, as you say a 60 may be a tad too big !
I think I'm at the point of "go ahead" the shopping list looks like this:-
Calmato E-TR
2 off 3sx4500 Lipos (Giant Cod)
Spektrum 6 channel RX (to use with a full range 4 channel Spektrum tx from my Blade heli)
Black Mantis 60A esc & programming card. (Giant Cod)
4 x Hi tec std servos (or should I use the old JR coreless that I found in my box of bits?)
Fusion LX61B Pro Eclipse AC/DC LiPo Charger (allready got this)
Y lead

Posted by Tim Hooper on 05/01/2012 09:24:13:
Steve,
Ignore BB - he has no idea what he's talking about. A .61 would be far too much for the Calmato. Now if he'd suggested a .32 - .40, then I just might give his suggestion some credence......

A 60A ESC should be just right. I can't comment on the Mantis range myself, but I've had no problems at all with any of Turnigy Plush range since I started using them a couple of years ago.

tim

Edited By steve watkin on 05/01/2012 13:25:42

Edited By steve watkin on 05/01/2012 13:26:43

Edited By steve watkin on 05/01/2012 13:27:50