TN MK 9 Spit questions

I have ordered the plans for Tony Nijhuis's MK9 Spit , has anyone built this if so did you happen to post the build with photos . I am looking forward to my first build in over 40 years ( don't time fly ) I wish I still had my modelling tools. This forum is a great site loads of info I need as the sport has changed so much with all the new technology (well new to me ) I definitely need to educate myself with all this tecno stuff ,still it will keep me entertained and busy .

Hello David,

I have built the 63" Mk9 spitfire and it is really nice to build and equally nice to fly. In fact i have just got back from flying it this morning. I built mine electric which i think is worth it. I didnt post any build photos im afraid but there i can help with what ever you need.

Below are some useful links to other builds,

Hope this is of help to you!

Regards,
Will

My that was quick ,I chose the the 42 inch , can't wait for the plans to arrive I can already smell the glue and balsa thanks for the links I will have a look after I have finished my chores ,I dont think I will any real probs with the build but any snags or plan problems it's always good to see what others have done to solve any probs , my main concern is with the servos and receiver ,landing gear retracts,batteries and keeping the bird balanced ;like where do they go in the airframe ect. never had to fit any of this stuff it's all new to me . I love this site you are all so encouraging and helpful thanks for the links again ,I will post all my build as I go and hope I will get help with all the tecno stuff as I progress

Regards David

Ahh well the little 42" spitfire is identical to the 63" spitfire as the bigger one was just a scaled up version. I didnt think that the 42" had retracts shown on the plan but it may be worth adding them as they are a nice touch. Yes the servoless retracts from Hobbyking are very good as you dont need to link up servos its just plug and retract!

Try and keep it light as the construction method can yield a heavy model. I would cut all the parts my self as that way you can use very light wood.

Thanks for that advice Myron I will take your advice ,I havent received the plans yet Will so I don't know if retracts are in the plans , if not I can sort it out the link you gave shows how to fit them; as wheels down in flight will spoil the looks to say nothing about it's aerodynamics other than that belly flopping such a beautiful graceful bird just rubs me up the wrong way. I don't intend to get the cnc kit I have plenty of time to cut it all out ,and my Dad always said it was cheating to use pop out parts . Money is tight so it will save me some cash that is better saved and spent on a good TX .Everything costs so much I cant believe it . And yes keeping it as light as poss. is a priority .Once I get the plans ( Monday or Tuesday ) and have a look I will seek advice on what wood will be best to use. My first real problem is choosing a good TX , they are complicated as satellite or not how meany channels ect ,and all the reviews I've read my poor brain hurts HELLLLP

well TXs are not too hard to fathom overall, I would say that there are three big brands that i would consider they are:

Futaba - Very good quality and excellent TX - RX link, i think you would struggle to find a fault with a futaba TX or RX however the receivers are very expensive and quite large. I used to use Futaba

Spektrum - They produce excellent radios at a very good price and the receivers are also very nicely priced, generally the radio links are fault free although some are not so lucky and have lost models due to a dodgy radio link. Spekrum produce cheap beginner stuff right up to the DX8 which is the most complex model (I use a DX8 and absolutely love it!)

JR - Jr begin where Spektrum leave, JR produce radios that are more advanced then the Spektrum DX8 but they use the same receivers (i think!!!!)

For you I would probably get one of these:

Edited By Will F on 09/01/2012 18:02:56

WOW FANTASTIC That has let me off cheap I thought I was going to have to spend 350-- 400 Quid 135 quid is SWEEET , I can afford that this month I will get a Phoenix sim with it and can start to practice , I found this pair of retracts on hobbyking

servoless retracts 140 mm X 3 mm rods max weight 2.5 kg stock no STTE-02 @$27.99,things are looking up .Thanks for your help Will I appreciate your help

Regards David

Hi David. From your questions elsewhere about hinges I take it that your plans have arrived? Have you decided yet on whether your build is to be electric or ic?

I went I.C. on my build really because of the cost of the battery for an electric build at that size. I think if I were to build at this size I would seriously consider electric!

Anyway I'm looking forwards to seeing the photos!

I wil go with IC .I have read your build blog it has been a great help in reading and understanding my plans , I see that your plans show wheel location in the wing , what diameter wheel did your plans call for , and where did you get your oleo's , I have found servoless retracts at Hobby King's but looked in RC World and can't see oleo's . My Plans are for the 46 in Spit . I still have a lot of research to do on modern RC , and I will need my TX to test the retracts as they only work from it adding a power supply won't work them ,so I have a lot to do before I can start ,I still have to build jigs and get the the tools ,I hope I can make a start early Feb. I saw your flight on UTUBE beautiful Spit and great flying ,FANTASTIC JOB Graham

Hi David. My wheels are 3 ¼ inch or 83mm. I managed to find some on Hobby King exactly the right size. You will be looking for something around 60mm / 2 ½ inch. I would check out the wheels at Giant Cod. The thing to look out for with the wheels is that they must not be too deep, or perhaps I should say wide, or they will not sit neatly inside your wing.

As for oleos, of course it depends on how much scale detail you want to put on. I managed to get some nice units very cheaply which come in the Sky RC standard pneumatic retracts set, but these are just the right length for my 62.5 inch Spitfire and would be too big for your smaller one.

I wonder if a good solution might be Hobby King retracts with wire legs rather than oleos? How deep are your wings? Do you have room for them?

Am I right in thinking that your plan does not show retracts? If you would like, I will have a go a rescaling a cross section of the wing on my 62.5 plan. How many ribs do you have in each wing? On the 62.5 inch there are 11 and the retract bearers fit though W3 and W4 and the wheel sits between W3 and W5, W4 being cut around the wheel well. If the Smaller Spit has 11, I might be able to rescale W2 and W3 to get the angles for the bearers.

You haven’t seen mine flying on YouTube as it’s not flown yet! I suspect that may be the prototype you have seen flown by a different Graham!

The 46 in. plan was the original design the larger models were scaled up .The wing design is the same except that my spars run full length ,in the larger , the main spars are stepped to allow for the wheel between w3 and w5 ,there are 11 spars set 50 mm apart , looking at the pics from build blogs the wheel looks correct at between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 larger and the wing air scoop is in the way of the retract arm and wont fit between w3 and W5 ,bigger than 1 1/2 and I would have to cut into w5 to get the wheel in and you are correct a servoless retract with a 3.5 mm x 140 mm rod cut to length is my best option , Is the pivot point of your retract just forward of balance set between w1 and w2? I can get my retracts in there ok with an inch and a half x 17 mm , A good look at the 62 in. plans would help , There is 30 mm between the wing skins on w4 so I can get 17mm wheels in ok I think ,If you have the time rescaling for me would be great and I would be appreciate it .
Thanks for your help and interest
Regards Dave