Can I use a 35Mhz T6EX as a buddy box on a 2.4 GHz T6 ?

Nev

I don’t use my old 35 MHz radio any more and contemplated ebay. Ok I know its not going to be worth much but I don’t like chucking perfectly good stuff in the bin. Then a thought occurred today when my 5 year old tugged on my arm with a “can I have a go dad” when we were at the field this afternoon.

It would be a bit like the blind leading the blind but at least he would think he was flying it. So could I use my old 35Mhz TX as a buddy box on my 2.4Ghz master. They are both T6 EX’s I don’t really see why not as you don’t use the transmits stage of the buddy box but before I spend £11 on a lead, has anybody tried it ?

Advert

Can't see a problem with it.
I use an old 35 mHz FF7 as a buddy with my 2.4gHz 9C as a master.
After all, the buddy box is only being used as a set of sticks, in effect ; it's the master set that does the transmitting. Just make sure that the buddy set is not switched on and the crystal is removed.

One problem we’ve started finding is that some Futaba tx’s are now 6 cell, or 7.2V powered. I think that’s right, anyway, they are certainly lower voltage. In this case you get a permanent low volt alarm beeping at you! There may be a way round it, but we just found that another compatible same voltage tx was the easiest answer, there was one to hand.
Also if you are going to buy a buddy lead, it might be an idea to check the tx sockets. There is an outside chance you might need a round DIN plug to Futaba square, rather than the square to square. Probably not, but we keep one of each, and they both get used occasionally.

I still use 35, but I’ve flown many 2.4 tx’s belonging to other club members on a regular basis and I’ve never had a problem, but I’ve also flown buddy with a few 2.4 tx’s and I think at least 3 times I’ve glanced down at the transmitter and for a split second I’ve thought that I’ve forgotten to pull the aerial out!! That is a strange feeling, I suppose blind panic would be a mild description, quickly followed by total relief at realisation. Fortunately it only lasts about a millisecond……

PB

We've done this at our club, but initially we had problems, when the trainer switch was pulled we lost signal. We couldn't work out what the problem was, so the two 2.4 6EX sets went back to Ripmax, turned out they had a fault, now corrected they are fine.

I didn't ever see a recall over this so there maybe some other 2.4 6 EX sets that still have this glitch out there, if yours is one of them you will need to end it off to Ripmax.

There is no problem doing this.

You can remove the battery and/or Xtal from the 35 Mhz Tx for safety.

I have heard reports of the PCB being damaged by the connector (it's soldered straight on to the PCB I think, on both 6EXs) so be a bit careful plugging it in, and don't drop it on its back!

According to the manual the 6EX 2.4 will work with several square-plug TXs but must not be used with round-plug ones. The manual says:

The T6EX-2.4GHz transmitter may be connected to another T6EX-2.4GHz, or any T4EX, T6EXA, T7C, T9C, T12Z, T14MZ, FX-40 series transmitter.

Posted by John Cole on 29/01/2012 10:06:31:
The T6EX-2.4GHz transmitter may be connected to another T6EX-2.4GHz, or any T4EX, T6EXA, T7C, T9C, T12Z, T14MZ, FX-40 series transmitter.

It doesn't necessarily have to be another Futaba transmitter.
I have successfully cross buddied different makes on several occasions.

Peter Beeney and Devon Flyer: Perhaps I should also have copied across what page 31 of the manual says about connecting to other Futaba transmitters:

Never connect the T6EX-2.4GHz trainer system with Futaba radios that have the large round "DIN" connector type as it will cause your T6EX-2.4GHz to malfunction.

If all else fails, read the instructions. 

Edited By John Cole on 29/01/2012 16:08:43

John, Thanks very much for that. I saw that instruction some while ago, but when I’ve mentioned it at the field I don’t think anyone has been able to find in in their own manual.
I have an old SkySport 4 with the round DIN plug and I use this as the slave tx to make a combo for beginners when they bring their models to the club. I’m sure that will have included the T6 EX 2.4 transmitter somewhere, I’ve a feeling this is a popular model. I’m sure that Nev will want to consider this, but so far we’ve not had any failures with any Futaba buddy systems at all.

One advantage with the SkySport, in my opinion anyway, there is only a servo reversing facility, no expo or even rates! So the beginner has to just get on with it with full control throws etc. Very occasionally we might have to make an adjustment but in general I’ve always found, over many years, this system works well.

The next time someone turns up with a T6 EX 2.4 I will make a special note of what happens.

PB

One of the advantages of downloading the manual is that you can then search it "mechanically", which is how I found the reference today. Easier and quicker than reading through the paper one.

Thanks for the advice and yes if I’d checked the manual it would have answered my question for me. I don’t know why I didn’t, I just wasn’t expecting it to be that useful. Anyway both sets have square type sockets and both have the same voltage so shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll give it a go and thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

• 4 months later...

Hello all,

Having read your comments i wonder if you can help me.

I have a Futaba 6EX 2.4 Tx and Futaba 6EXA 35 mhz Tx.

My trainer is set up to run on the 2.4 Tx.

I have purchased a Futaba square to square lead and coupled them up as follows.

Both Txs turned off,ariel down on 35 set, cable plugged into rear of both Txs.

Powered up the 2.4 set,35 set showing powered up.

Model - FASST rx powered up

Both Tx on same mode1,all settings on both Tx exactly the same.

2..4 set works all controls on model.

Pull trainer switch forward on 2.4 set and move 35 set sticks and what happens....Nothing!!!!

Any ideas please,could this cable be duff?

Purchased this from LMS today.

Cheers..ian.