Help

Quinn Butow

I would like to move onto 3D flying after messing with sport F3A aircraft,  and noticed that some aircraft are called freestyle, while others 3D.

The only difference that i note are the wing styles, from thin section and taper for feestyle, and barndoor thick section for 3D.  

Can anyone help me decide which is the best choice ?

Advert

Quinn there are far too many names in this field which are very confusing. Airframes that are now called freestyle are usually derivatives of F3A or pattern ships which have much enlarged flight surfaces (elevators ailerons and rudder) to make them 3D capable on high rates and still good for pattern on low rates. Then there's the fun fly types these are the one with the thick wing sections ie Cougar Hype etc, these will do a lot of 3D  but sometimes fall down in certain aspects and certainly won't fly pattern style and are not intended to be flown at high air speeds. Finally there's the scale or semi-scale aerobats ie Edges Extras Katanas Ultimates etc that again have enlarged flight surfaces which on high rates become very 3D capable or on low rates can be used for IMAC competition flying. The essence of 3D basically is that the wings have ceased to fly in a conventional manner ,that is they are stalled and the aircraft is being flown on vectored propthrust, obviously the other major thing needed is a very high power to weight ratio of at least 1.5:1. I hope this helps, if you have further questions post away. 

Hi Quinn

It's all to do with aerodynamics ( I'm sure you know that). A thick, symmetrical section will fly very slowly. My cougar will hover in a medium wind, and turn on a sixpence. My capiche, is much better for large, scale like aerobatics,  Huge loops, slow rolls, like a full size aerobatic machine. For fun I prefer the Cougar..To show off (I never do that) its the Capiche.

ernie 

Sorry to disagree Ernie but the thickness of the airfoil has little to do with 3D flight which as I've said above takes place when the wings are stalled i.e. no longer flying, the aircraft simply flying on propwash. Yes the thicker funly sections will fly better at slower speeds but that is when the wings are still generating lift "capiche"  As for your Capiche whichever size it is, give it a decent 3D setup i.e. loads of movement and probably plenty of exponential to soften things up around centres and possibly experiment with the C/G and it will be equally if not more 3D capable than your Cougar, in the right hands they really do make an excellent performer 

• 7 months later...