Barnstormer - which engine?

Plummet

I haver to decide which engine to fit in the Barnstormer that I am building.

It is designed for a '40', and my guess would be that a modern 40 will be more powerful than a 40 of old. I do have an OS40LA free at the moment. However having a bright blue 2 stroke with its huge silencer dangling over the side seems out of character for the Barnstormer. I would much prefer a 4 stroke to chug away in it.

Of course,I do not want to spend too much.

I have even thought of using an RC throttled diesel,

Suggestions welcome.

Plummet

Advert

Posted by Plummet on 30/01/2012 22:03:03:
I haver to decide which engine to fit in the Barnstormer that I am building.

It is designed for a '40', and my guess would be that a modern 40 will be more powerful than a 40 of old. I do have an OS40LA free at the moment. However having a bright blue 2 stroke with its huge silencer dangling over the side seems out of character for the Barnstormer. I would much prefer a 4 stroke to chug away in it.

Of course,I do not want to spend too much.

I have even thought of using an RC throttled diesel,

Suggestions welcome.

Plummet
Hi Plummet,

A mate of mine flew an old OS max 40 in his Barnstormer and it had ample power, loads of em going on eBay for next to nothing.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 31/01/2012 03:30:10

Will a modern .40 be more powerful? An old one is liable to be a lot noisier, and the better muffler might well absorb any increases in power from the more modern design. I suspect the power will be enough whichever you go for.

Of course if you go for a four stroke it will need to be a bit bigger, but I rather prefer the four strokes myself, they sound much nicer. And as you say it would be very much in character.

regards
John

I have just checked again The Barnstormer 63, according to D B Sport and Scale, is designed for a '29' to a '40'.

I had looked at the ASP 30 FS, but I am worried that it will be too underpowered. I feel that a 52 FS would be too much.

There is the OS 40 or the Enya 41 but they are the best part of £200.

Any other options?

Has anyone used r/c diesels?

Plummet

I am using a PAW 19 throttled in a vintage model, Orbit Gas Buggy from the Ben Buckle range, and is excellent. It throttles well and will run for minutes at tick-over and gently pull the model round and then open up to full throttle with no problem. Something like the 29 R/C should be about right I would think for relaxed flying. Good luck with it. Cheers, John.