Sharkface EP

Major

As promissed - Sharky was remaidened today. Together with Kal we've gone to Blackburn's Club, my model was maidened by one of the most experienced pilots. And he says, that construction is absolutely fine, there is nothing wrong with it at all. He just didn't use too much throttle and of course was steering much calmer than me. So the only thing I need to find to fly my model is no radio, no motor either, but just and only the pilot... BUT IT FLIES!!!!!!!!!!devil

Thank You once more for support, Kal for good time. Now I feel like frozen chicken, but day was perfect!

Cheers

Tom

Edited By Major on 26/02/2012 16:54:17

Thanks a lot.

I was a bit supprised, cause after he flew Sharkie, I told him "I wanna try as well". And he responded "No, You don't, it's not a plane for beginners. Flies normally like plane, but it's hard to control " I've been also advised to buy Wot4 (possibly for glow engine) to learn.

Your Tyro looks good Steve. I'd like to make a diesel version, but EP will be much easier to use for me

Next time I need to remember to take cothes with me. It was a windy day and I've caught nice fever (nearly 39*).

Cheers,

Tom

I do find that clothes do enhance the model flying experience.....I've yet to find a Naturist aeromodeller.....I think the spinning propellor would concentrate the mind wonderfully...not just fingers you might lose....teeth 2

Sharky probably isn't a beginners plane Tom....your friend is right.....the smaller they are the harder they are to fly.....The MT would be good to learn on but be warned it doesn't like much wind.......rudder/elevator models tend to turn very slowly into wind & can get blown a long way downwind....so if you can live with only flying on calm days I comend it to you as a trainer....easy to build too...

I had a t-shirt and light jacket, but it wasn't enough. Next time will remember to take much more coveringwink. Your vision sounds sadistic, but would like to see thatdevil.

MT is a bit bigger than Sharkie, will be heavier as well. For sure will do better as trainer. I've got already cut ribs, just need some ply and plane might be finished this weekwink.

After a while I'm gonna build something bigger, to suit my glow engines, so will do with Tyro a few flights, then jump to something bigger (I hope)...

I was also advised to stop building for some time, buy foamie like Skyhawk and learn to fly first. Idea is very good, but somehow I just can't stopcheeky. It's like smoking to me....

Edit:

Just now I'm uploading video from maiden....

Edited By Major on 27/02/2012 12:55:23

• 3 weeks later...

Don't want to take over your thread Tom but I thought it only fair to show you progress on my Sharky......she's naked so you must be over 18 to look at the picture.....wink 2

Note the Big Bandit Chris "Gussett-O-Matic" (TM) construction of the wing.....butt joining the 1/16th balsa ribs to the LE didn't fill me with much confidence.....

Just needs covering now & I found I don't have enough So-Lite in the scrap box so I will have to spend money on some yellow after all.....sad

Hi Steve, Tom,

Great to see more Sharky's coming along, I'll have to build an aileron wing or better still another Sharky. Yesterday I picked up the PAW 09 for the KK Bandit, it's a really sweet motor so when this weekends over I'll be able to clear the shed get the Super 60 finished and start building again starting with another Sharky then the Bandit.

Cheers,

Chris.

• 1 month later...

Well Sharky was finished a few weeks ago & has finally flown....a complete scrap box special this....it didn't cost me anything as it was built from "stock" smile

Sat in the workshop.....

Blinking in the early morning light....

A "come hither" smile.....

The motor is a CF2812 spinning a 6x4 APC prop & consumes about 120watts from a 3S 1000mAh LiPo. AUW is a touch over 12 oz. She's built to the plan outline but with a flat wing & ailerons & some of the redundant formers have been omitted. The standard downthrust has been reduced slightly & is now exactly "some" degrees.

First flight was interesting.....from launch all that "power" pulled the nose right down & we were heading for an early bath until a panicked thumb-ful of "UP" sent Sharky heavenwards at a great rate of knots.....a bit of trimming (touch of up & right) & we were good to go & what a barrel of laffs Sharky turned out to be.....she'll turn in her own length & rolls so fast its difficult to count 'em.smile d

She has an "interesting" trait that awaits the unwary......probably down to the combination of flat bottomed wing & lots of downthust (though less than shown on the plan...) When tootling along full power will drag the nose down until the speed builds & the lift increases to counteract the downthust....at most speeds the model is quite neutral in pitch trim but going from low to high speed is certainly lots of fun the first time you whack the throttle open....smile o

Huge respect to anyone fitting a 1.5cc diesel & rudder only control to this model.....you'd definitely need a lie down in a darkened room after landing crook

Ayup Steve,

Throttles not allowed, it's got to be full chat till the motor stops teeth 2, my normal method is hold inverted till it cuts. Aileron wing coming up (I wish I wouldn't do that). Could we not consider towing a 25" er foot streamer for a bit of Sharky combat teeth 2teeth 2.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi I came late to this thread. I used to fly Sharkface long ago with wenmac 049etc. It had all the characteristics of a flying brick. In order to save props and motors from heavy landings we used to mount the motor on an aluminium plate with a lug projecting each side of the plate slghtly bent forward to form a kind of hook. We then inserted a dowel through the fuselage back about one inch from the front bulkhead and attached the motor plate to the dowel using rubber bands. It never failed and saved plenty of damage. I suppose I can see it now as a forerunner of our much more elegant prop saver.

I graduated to "Bazz Bomb" which I think is still listed in the plans service

That engine mounting is shown on the plan Glasshopper.....I failed to understand what the 3/16th dowel at the front was actually for when I first looked at the plan....

Bazz Bomb....now thats a name from the past......a guy I knew had a Bazz Bomb with a Fuji 19 up front in the late 70's.....it was an own design though, drawn on some wall lining paper......maybe the same name but a different model....thinking

Finally maidened my Sharky on Saturday....after being sent the plan by Major Tom waaay back in February!

Well worth the wait though - I've powered it with a 2212/06 with a 3S 1600mAH battery, and, good gravy, it goes like stink! Will post a pic when I figure out how!