Sharkface EP

Major

Hi Glasshopper,

It's not on the index list, but I do remember the plan being around a few years ago. I stopped updating the index a few years ago but stopped at 152, there are probably twice as many not done yet. If I can find it I'll get it copied for you.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Steve,

Jep that's the one I remember, just wish I could find the plans, I've got 5 boxes catalogued already and theres another 6 deep boxes and a piles of loose mags to go yet. Rather then go through all of the boxes, I might just buy the mag and enlarge the drawing as it looks like it was a real hooligans tool and I've a few 1.5 to 2.5 motors looking for a job. Simple Simon is another model that stands out as a fun tool and I know where that one is.

Cheers,

Chris.

My single channel experience started with a high wing cabin plane called 'Smoke Trail' after which I built a couple (or was it 3 of 'em? It's too long ago to remember) of Sharkfaces powered by a Cox Golden Bee and whilst I had the plan of Bazz Bomb, I actually built a similar plane called Sawdust which used an AM15 diesel for it's propulsion, which I still have kicking around somewhere. This I converted to 2 channel proportional via a very colourfull and plasticky looking single stick Horizon set. After that I never used my single channel gear again, but I'm glad I've had the Sharface experience. Happy days!

Hi Bill,

I still have the plan of the Smoke Trail and it's in my index, I also have a few Golden Bee's, QZ's and Black widows. The horizon gear was great in it's day after faffing around with split supplies on Deacs and 4 wire servo's which in itself was a great advance on SC, galloping ghost, and reed gear. I've done a Sharkface for the Vintage mass build with one of the QZ's on the front.

Cheers,

Chris.

Steve, Eck

Your planes look fantastic! Now I want one covered with film, with ailerons and straight wing, but first I'll bump the plan twice. And in the name of science will try to put a`nitro engine to it, say .10FPsmiley ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page. which I recently restored from scrap...

Cheers

Tom

Edited By Major on 17/05/2012 19:33:23

Alex,

there will be more of them wink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.. Now I'm finishing Mini Tyro, after that will get back to Sharky.

Could anybody tell me, how it behaves with diesel engine? Say - Cox Golden Bee 0.49? And the most important question - how to land before fuel runs out?" Is it possible to cut throttle anyhow on that one? As far as I've seen - not really, but just want to make sure.

And from other side - what is it like with ailerons? My rudder + elevator is very sensitive, so I can't really imagine that...

Cheers

Hey Tom,

Long time no hear, If you look at the tread on my Sharky I wound up with a Cox QZ 049 much the same motor as the Golden Bee, but they are both glow motors not diesels.

TBH the only way to stop the thing running with these tanked motors is to roll inverted and hold it there till the motor stops then half roll and land. It's a very successful method once you are used to it, the Dipsticks I built in the 80's used the same motors and they were very good at aileron elevator aerobatics.

I'm going to have to build an aileron version now aren't I teeth 2.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hey Chris!

It was a bit long time... I had some kind of "crisis", didn't even want to look at my planes on the wall, but something happened... I got rid of one idiot from my house, so I have a room just for me and my models, and my mate has given me .10FP without needle valve... As I had one, just fitted it quickly, gave it a good wash, assembled quickly my "test stand" and in seconds it was runningcheeky ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page..

So if it's not diesel, what fuel should I use? Standard 10% from Model Technics would do? And how to fly it with full power?? Does it constantly climb?? Tell us a bit more Chris!!wink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

I think it would be faster just to make new wings, but in my case - I'd need to strip front of fuselage to take out motor and ESC... As it was my first ever built RC plane, don't want to touch it. Will build another one instead, with proper engine and ailerons (will see what can I get, as somebody is about to bin some stuff) and after that - Sharkface MKIIwink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page. - twice biggercheeky ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page..

So You don't have a choice Chriswink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.. We've got already some common SF, lets push it further and maybe improve project?? Bigger plane, bigger glow engine, no that big downthrust, ailerons, maybe UC??? I don't know about You, but I'm on it!!!

Liberate my madness!!!!cheeky ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

Hi Tom,

I think the FP10 would make the Sharky go like a rocket, I know it says up to a 1.5cc motor on the plan, but in 1965 the motors were a lot less powerful than they are these days and I recon a 049 Cox is about right for the standard Sharky.

May be the best plan would be to take the plan to a copy shop and have it copied up to 30" span or even 36" then you could go 4 chancel, just keep the rudder and add ailerons. I recon it could still be hairy with the FP.

I have an OS 10 so I might just do that or Ill get the plan for the Bazz Bomb which is 36" span and similar design, I've already ordered some 1964 Aeromodeller mags with the build article for the Bazz Bomb in one of them.

Now I've finished the Matador I have to finish the Super 60 before starting on the new workshop so I won't have a lot of time for building models while I'm doing that, I'll still keep up to date on the forum though.

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 18/05/2012 10:44:59:

Chris I feel bad..embarrassed..I didn't expect you to rush out & buy all the Aeromodellers & share the Bazz Bomb plan with us lot.....you are too generous.....let us know what we owe you for the copies....thumbs up

Hi Steve,

I fancied em anyway as one has an engine test by Peter Chin on the Merco 61, I'll see how far the drawings will blow up when the mags arrive, If I'm lucky they just might br about right. I do fancy the Bazz Bomb though teeth 2.

Cheers,

Chris.

I meant to put OS to the bigger version of Sharky, not to the standard one. I've found some info, that .10FP could pull a plane with about 1m of wingspan and 1kg of weight. So 40 inch airframe would do, cause it will not get close to 1kg.

Bazz Bomb looks good, somehow reminds me of Mini Tyrowink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page..

Just got back from local park with my Sharky. I can't believe it, but first time I had a full flight till battery died in mid-air. Well, I flew it first time by myself! It was maidened by sdome other pilot in Blackburn, and since then, was just hanged on the wall. Absolutely amazing little thing. Battery is charging now, in about 30 mins I will get airborne againsmiley ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.. What a fantastic feeling!!...

Tom,

Well done mate, it is a magic little airframe and designed so long ago. I recon your next step is another one with a small (049) Cox motor on the front ie Golden Bee or Black Widow. Theres no throttle on them and you fly full chat till the fuel runs out, mental but fun. First flights need the prop fitting backwards to reduce power, but from then on it's pure fun teeth 2.

I've just replied to your PM with details, enjoy thumbs up.

Cheers,

Chris.