Back (sort of) after a long break

bald_bloke

Greetings all,

first post here. I've recently started looking at RC modelling again after a gap of about 20 years. Good to see that there is still plenty going on. RC geer seems to have got cheaper and better.

What inspired me to look again is my 4 year old son who has taken an interest in simple model gliders. It will be a few years yet before he's ready to fly anything remote controlled so we are just building simple free flight models for now.

He is as keen on building as flying which is great as the build/crash/repair cycle is fairly rapid.

I'd like to build a RC car with him so that he can get a feel for remote contol. However, all I can find are either complete models or plastic moulded kits. Modelling aircraft from plans and raw materials is extremely well supported, the choice of plans is vast. So far I have not found anything similar for cars. I know this is off topic for this forum, but can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers.
baldbloke

Advert

Not sure but try Galaxy in Ipswich,they have an advert near the top right of this forum.One of our club members has a son of about 4 who is very keen and cannot wait to get to the field Sundays.I had a spare older trainer and his grandad who is a keen flyer cleaned and fitted an OS 40 fp for him.his father takes off and gets it high and then his son has a fly with dad in close attendance,good luck with you

Hi BB,

welcome to the forum and welcome back to the fold - there is no escape! Sorry what I know about R/C cars you could fit on the back of a postage stamp and there'd still be room for the Lord's Prayer! But there is a good cross-section of skills on here and I'm sure some of the guys will be able to point you in appropriate directions - as in YakMad has done!

BEB

Tamiya still manufacture RC car kits. They've reissued all the ones from years ago like the Lunchbox etc. I'm no car nut, but I work in a shop, so end up being more clued up than i'd like!

Building a Tamaya kit is good fun (I built a Boomerang when they first came out) but it's not really overly suitable for a four year old. Lots of small washers and nuts to lose, a sharp knife needed to cut-out the bits etc. No doubt he'd like driving it but not sure about building it. Could get involved with the colour scheme though (although the paints are far from edible!).

RC Car kits tend to be more assembly than build as they are usually a collection of moulded parts...

Model cars are surprisingly sophistcated in fact......

At £49 this might be interesting....be aware though that by the time you buy radio, servos & speed controller it will probably cost you a bit more than the £99 the ready to run version costs.....My 5 year old has the RTR version & loves it....

Remember you will need bateries & a charger too

Oh & welcome to the Forum....

Your not on your own baldbloke I've just bought New radio gear and all the rest of the equipment I need to start up again after 37 years and oh dear how much it's all changed am just hoping that I've done the right thing or have I finally gone round the bend and need certifying and can I actually remember how to fly

Brian

I went through the same worries when I restarted last year after a gap of 20 years. Also took the opportunity to unlearn Mode 1 and learn Mode 2. Proably not the wisest decision, but I have thoroughly enjoyed coming back and the welcome seems warmer than it was when I last flew 20 years ago.

One thing you will find if you start flying again is that the organisation is much stronger and perhaps more restrictive with H&S and noise abatement far more of a concern now than they were in the distant pass.

So - join a club, get a simulator, get your son involved, He will be out flying you by the time he is 6!

Good luck

Martyn