Mini Fast Plane design with a SC15 (8x6 prop)

Tony H

Hi Guy's,

I'm not sure this is the place to be adding this thread but... I am planning to design my own small fast plane and I'm trying to work out the size and weight it needs to be to achieve the desired speed and performance.

I don't know any kits like it with a .15 size IC engine but I know that some electric kits are about the size I think I should be aiming for.

My question is what would the equivalent electric motor output be for the SC25 with a 8x6 Prop. At a guess I reckon about 250W @ 11v? and a 1200kv?

I need to know so I can loosely base the overall dimension and weight of my own design plane on a similar Electric plane kit.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Thanks Eck,

I'm going to use the SC15 in it, I need to find out how powerful it is compared to an Electric Motor so I know what size and weight to make the plane.

Do you think the motor in your link is equivalent to the SC15 (IC)?

There are plenty of Ic plans known to fly well. Study some of these plans

look at Dave Fritzke plans to download and print on an A4 printer Dave Fritzke's page
In particular look at the Super Pacer ( Ace Super Pacer ) which might suit

Otherwise consider the New Era 3 ( or the updated New Era revisited) from RCM plans
The Flea Fli is an aerobatic design of 40 inch span 7.25 Parallel chord and might be  what you need or inspiration for your own design. Plan is from MyHobbyStores.
for lots of plans to download and study including New Era 3 and Flea Fli

You could just build as they are or restyle these to suit if you want a unique plane. However there have been endless free plans in RCME over the years in the IC size you want.  Ask around your club if you dont have these old plans to see if you can borrow  to study or build from

Edited By kc on 03/02/2012 17:10:19

Thanks Guys,

Very useful information especially Jim's, Those planes are awesome. I am now wondering how i'm going to design something original, it seems almost everything has been done at sometime.

The Skystreak seems to be 26 inch in the original KK plan so is that 32 inch a recent magazine free plan version?
A source of the 26 inch Skystreak and numerous other old plans is here outerzone plans

Anyone who builds these small fast planes is going to need experience, reactions like a racing driver , eyesight like a hawk and a high visibility vivid colour scheme!

Wow KC,

Some of those designs are spot on for what I was thinking, I'd only have to modify the width of the fuselage on some of them as I want my plane to have maximum flight duration of around 20mins, I intend to shoe horn in a 7oz tank.

Bingo, me, me and me. I can fly a 100mph+ Jamara Roo pusher prop delta winger fairly well. I imagine this won't be much different. I also fly SC52 Phoenix Spitfire.

If you want something really fast and furious to design go for a 1/12th scale WW 2 fighter. They are great fun. Span will be around 36". If you want something a little less hairy go for 43" span and about 350 to 400 square inches in area.

I designed a Macchi 202 and a Kawasaki Hein. Both were tremendous fun. Also a fun model

called "Size Zero.

Just waiting to test fly another .15 size model but not in this cold.

Whilst looking through a stack of magazines to find Peter Millers TR6AL Pursuit (Radio Modeller April 1990 ) and Tequila Sunrise ( RM Feb 92 ) also King Condor (RM Dec 95 ) I came across the Skystreak 32 (RM August 86 )
Also there is a Skystreak 52 for C/L in Aviation Modeller October 2000.

Peter's Macchi Folgore 36 inch 1/12 scale for a 15 is in AMI Sept 2000. his 40 inch 1/12 Kawasaki Tony Ki61 is in Ami Jan 2003

I
The Size Zero is a RC Modelworld ( Traplet ) free plan March 2008

know of a source selling all of  the above mags (except the Skystreak32) for 2 to 4 pounds with plans.  ( not mine I dont part with RC mags! )  PM me for the site.

Rather than change the fuselage width consider whether a SLEC square tank would fit in existing width but give suffucient capacity. SLEC website gives dimensions and the tank can fit flush up to the bulkhead with its recesssed fitting design.

Edited By kc on 03/02/2012 19:48:09

Hi Tony, I suggested the 2215 as I use one in a GWS (foamy) FW 190, wingspan 40", mean chord 6.5", weight 31oz, and it's a nippy little beast!
Some very nice models being suggested, by the way.

Edited By Eck on 03/02/2012 19:41:46

The Skystreak was kitted in 26" and 40" span versions. I had a 26 with a Frog 150 and got very dizzy until I lengthened the lines.
I built a 40" span version for R/C with aileron and elevator for controls plus, of course, throttle.and used an OS10 for power. This was plenty fast enough for me, but then I'm getting old and reactions are slowing down...

Malcolm