1/4 scale Fokker DVII Gary Sunderland plans.

Kevin Fairgrieve

I have a hankering for a 1/4 scale DVII to go with my 1/4 scale DVIII

Does anyone have any experience of these plans?
Are they any good?
Do they show much detail?
Are they accurate?
Do you think the wood pack would be good value?

You get the idea.

1/4 Scale Fokker DVIII

Featured in Flying Scale Models - February 2004. Would anyone have a copy of the magazine that I could beg, borrow, steal or copy the article from?

Just thinking aloud, and looking for some feedback. Need to clear some funds first.
Kev

Like all Gary Sunderland Plans, the Dvii will be 100% accurate in scale.
And if the Spad 13 plan I have of his is any indication, it will more detailed than any experienced builder needs.
Gary tends to favour scale fidelity at the expense of both ease of building and ease of flying. He cut his teeth on full scale gliders and uses construction techniques from these in his models.
You link has low res samples of the actual plans.  So you should be able to see how detailed they are. 

My advice would be to purchase the plans. They will be an adventure if nothing else.

Oh, and so far as the wood pack, no two ribs are the same - well, pairs of ribs are, but no two pairs are the same... you know what I mean.
The spar changes in thickness along the length while the chord stays constant. Thus, cutting ribs accurately (unless Gary has detailed each and every rib) will be a right pain. Maybe the wwood pack is a good idea.

Hugh

Edited By Hugh Coleman on 06/02/2012 07:41:50

• 2 years later...
Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 05/02/2012 20:53:15:
I have a hankering for a 1/4 scale DVII to go with my 1/4 scale DVIII

Featured in Flying Scale Models - February 2004. Would anyone have a copy of the magazine that I could beg, borrow, steal or copy the article from?
Kev

Remember this?

Well a very nice forum member dug out the 2004 original and photcopied it for me.

So have a guess what turned up in the April 2014 RC Model Flyer. Yep a reprint of the original article.

So I have the plan`s, two copies of the article!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kev