Easystar 2

Joe  Roper

Hi I was on the point of ordering one of these when I read David Ashby's review in this months mag. I am now very confused ! He says to start with the Cof G at 78mm to start and move it forwards to get more penetration. I always understood you should start with it forward to give greater stability when learning and move it back later to be more sensitive and add weight to increase penetration.can someone explain please .Have I got things all wrong?

Hello Joe, perhaps David Ashby can help?

You should always start with the suggested CG which is what I did. Let's just clarify - the model is happy within a wide CG range but it's a steady, floaty old thing at the suggested CG. That's good, it's a trainer after all and needs to be slow and steady for the beginner.

I've found that moving the CG forwards gets the nose down a tad in level flight and helps it penitrate better but moving the CG back to the suggested position doesn't really make it any more sensitive by comparison - maybe it should as a generalisation but not here, it's an EasyStar after all. It's not a model I'd bother adding weight to other than via changes in battery pack size so I guess it's just a case of shifting the pack to achieve a feel you're happy with. Just start at the suggested CG and go from there.

It's a great beginners machine all in. Are you just starting out?

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 10/02/2012 19:47:23

I remember with my Mk1 EasyStar,as I was learning and arrivals were nose first,the nose kept getting compressed and shorter.The battery was at the very front,so was pushed further and firthe back as the nose shortened but never noticed a difference,Maybe as the nose compressed the c of g stayed the same not sure what a shortened nose does.When it was over an inch shorter I would buy a new fuselage.