Hobbyzone Super Cub, how much room needed ?

Chris Procter

Hi all,

I'm currently learning to fly my Irvine Tutor down at the club, which is a 20 min drive away,

However the field next door to our house is available for my use, so for a quick fix and some extra practice is 4 1/2 acres enough to fly a Hobbyzone Cub from ?

The field is rectangular in shape and would easily fit 3 footy pitches side by side. The cub is electric and RTF so shouldn't annoy anyone but is it enough room?

Many thanks

Chris

Advert

The Funcub is fantastic, and is big enough to do your A test with (over 1kg)

It does take of in very little space, and land in very little, and you can fly it arouind in little space.

How ever, i think if you are learning, the space required is going to have more to do with your abilities than the planes, I think that having to turn sharply because you are running out of space may be a recipe for disaster.

4 acres should be fine though, keep it close so that all your turns are planned, and make your approach low rather than risk overshooting. Easier to walk a way than climb a tree

Thanks Steve and BB,

I found the long but excellent thread on the forum regarding the Fun Cub, it's going to take a while reading through mind blush

It does seem quite expensive compared to the HZ cub which I may get as it seems quite affordable in comparison, however i'm sure it won't be the last plane in the hangar so to speak.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Chris

What a lovely day for some flying !

Woke up this morning to a sunny start and most importantly NO WIND smile d

This had to be the perfect day to maiden this Hobbyzone Cub ! My first concern was to landing it, although i'd mown the meadow there was no way it could be a rolling touchdown it was just too lumpy.

So I decided that if the touchdown was slow enough and the prop stopped, it could nose over and would survive. The cub was hand launched with some trepidation but I thought it's now or never and hoped the hours put into the simulator would show some results.

She took to the wing with ease and climbed away very quickly, I needed to reduce the power quite soon after launch to avoid it leaving the paddock, there followed a couple of slow circuits with some lazy eights thereafter. I found within a few minutes of flight and some confidence it was easy enough to keep the aircraft within just 2 acres, this was a relief and soon led to some height and use of the full 4 acres for a bit more excitement.

It was eventually time to bring it in and hope for the best, a nice slow circuit with a rollout onto finals and then as much angle of attack as I could safely get away with, cut the motor at a foot or so, light flare and she touched down and flipped onto it's back, total non event and wasn't worth the nail biting teeth 2 .

I charged the battery up and did it all over again, and again, and again. !

Can't really fault this model to be honest and value for money is spot on, i'll be working on the landing strip over the coming months and hopefully will have a workable surface some time later in the year, in the mean time it doesn't do it any harm to slowly flop into the grass and at least i'm getting extra stick time in between the Irvine flying up at the club.

The only warning for the wary is that this model is so light even a slight breeze will see it struggle to make any headway into wind and buffet will turn it over easily, particularly noticeable above 50 feet or so where the breeze was a little stronger, let it get too far down wind and I would have been in trouble.

Cracking day, loads of fun and I think everyone should have one !

Thanks all for some encouragement and advice.

Cheers

Chris