FMS model for Goldberg Piper Cub

Lars Rognlien

Hi all

I've just got a USB lead to connect to my Futaba radio to the computer for use with FMS. After a bit of fiddling, I've got it all working.

Now I'm looking for a model that is a close as possible to the real one, which is gathering dust whilst I'm gathering the strength to fly it for the first time (never flown before).

The model is a Goldberg Anniversary Piper Cub - about a 1/5th scale. I've got an Irvine 53 engine to power it.

Has anyone got any suggestions to which model would be a good fit?

Many thanks!

Lars

Advert

Hi Lars,

Welcome to the forum - plenty of help available here! I don't have experience of FMS but looking at their website, I'd say the Super Cub will probably be closest - they seem to call it the SuperCup.........

I have a CG Cub - my build thread is here. It does fly very nicely but, if you say you've never flown before, I'd be a bit concerned if you didn't have an experienced flier to help you with the early flights.

Whilst it is not a difficult aircraft to fly, it is certainly not a suitable model to take for your first flights and I would not consider it a trainer aircraft. The Cub does have some quirky flight characteristics and may not be too forgiving for a novice. It would be a shame for it to have a short flying career!

If you can tell us a lttle more of your plans and any experience, ie, are you joining a club, etc?, there will be sufficient advice available here to make your introduction as successful as possible.thumbs up

Pete

The SuperCup is an FMS 7 model, so if you are running FMS 8 (much better version) you would need to uninstall it, install FMS 7, copy the SuperCup files to a spare folder (plus any other "7" models you want), uninstall FMS 7, and then reinstall FMS 8. Then copy the SuperCup files to the FMS 8 Models folder.

The problem then is that the (short) .par file for FMS 7 don't contain enough data for realistic flight simulation. FMS 8 .par files are much longer. I wrote a slightly-improved FMS 7 .par file for the SuperCup which you will find elsewhere on the Forum (posted 19/12/2008):

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=14642&p=2

Just copy and paste the data lines into a text file using notepad and save it as supercup.par in the models file to overwrite the existing one.

FMS 8 is a better simulator than 7, but most of the models published have crude .par files (many copy a single version, which is why many FMS 8 models fly the same - and not too well, as the file they copied is not that accurate).

I wrote an FMS 8 .par file for the SuperCup from scratch, and I think it's an improvement on using the FMS 7 one. It's too long to post here, but if you PM me with your Email address then I'll Email it to you.

But don't expect any FMS model to fly like the real model. The effects of wind and gusts are not that realistic, and there's no wind-shear. But you will still learn a lot from practising with it. If you can fly one (real) model then you'll have no difficulty flying a different but similar one. So if your FMS simulated model is a bit like the real one then that's close enough for you to learn.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

I was recommended this model years and years ago (I built 90% of it about 7 years ago, then my first son was born and it's been in storage until now...). I wanted one that involved quite a bit of building as well as good to fly for a newbee. But there you go.

I've never flown before and I don't have much experience neither in modelling nor the 'science' of flying. I have a club nearby so I'm hoping for some help in getting started. Based on your comments, I think I definitely need to get someone to buddy with me.

The model is quite heavy and, again, I was recommended the 53 engine.

Pete - yes, I've read your build thread with interest.

John - I've downloaded the supercup from FMS website and will updated the .par file with what you suggest. Meanwhile, I'm sending you a PM for the v8 version you have written.

Thanks again, all.

Lars