Dynam Spitfire 1200mm. (47").

Colin Leighfield

Does anyone have any experience with this? I bought one on line a few weeks ago, having watched a few internet videos which showed that it looked good and flies pretty well. When received, the quality looked up to the mark and it's a reasonable facsimile of a Spitfire Mk.IX. The wingtips are slightly incorrect but close (It would easily cut down to make an LFIX) and the U/C is slightly widened but works in the right direction. Can't criticise that. Colour scheme is a bit dodgy and the pilot is ridiculous, but a bit of work with the paint brush, a Deagostini Spitfire pilot from Pete's Pilots and it becomes a better looking Spitfire than many others that I have seen. You can fit the cannons and stubs in the standard "C" wing position or the othe way around in the "E" wing format, less common but I did it because I could.

It unfortunately came the with radio set up to Mode 2, which I can't live with and although it is well made, I can't see how to convert it to Mode 1, so I fitted my Spektrum instead. However, I haven't been able to fly it yet because of the complete unpredictability as to whether the retracts are going to work or not. With the original radio or the Spektrum, the original leads or different ones, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If you take it to bits, re-connect everything and try, it works. Put it away, get it it out a day or two later and it doesn't, or it does after a delay, or one comes down.

It sounds like dodgy connections, but I've been through it so many times I don't see how it can be.I keep thinking I'm missing something obvious, does anybody else have experience with this plane?

• 3 weeks later...
Advert

It's interesting that nobody has picked up on this one, although I note that quite a few have read it. However, I have to say that in spite of apparently intermittent operation of the U/C in the workshop, it works perfectly on the field and I wonder if the thing is set up to give a staggered operation instead of simultaneous, closer to the full size.

I have to say that this model is a great flyer, with none of the ground handling problems that I expected, although this is on hard runways and I'm sure that tipping on the nose might be a problem on grass. To be fair though, that's not unusual for foam warbirds.

It handles really well with no vices and looks great in the air. The size (47" wingspan) is good and makes it more visible than some of the smaller alternatives. The foam is tough and resists dents, which makes a change. If you are prepared to do a bit of painting and change the pilot, as I have, this is a very decent scale model and I'd recommend it. The only reservation now is that it could do with a bit more power, but I'm enjoying flying it as it is, so might have a look at that later.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Richard. This one caught me out.

I forgot to specify Mode 1 (can't fly Mode 2)! When it arrived it was Mode 2. The guy who had imported it reckoned he'd been told that everyone in the UK flies Mode 2! Ah well. I took the back off the Tx to see if I could swap it around, but concluded it was beyond my competence. I decided to take the coward's way out and used my existing Spektrum Dx6 instead, which is a perfectly good conclusion, except for the waste of what looks perfectly good R/C gear, which I'm giving to a mate who lives down South where they do odd things like flying Mode 2.

I believe it is available in Mode 1, but clearly you need to establish it first. Having said that, I still think it's good value for money and it is a great flyer. As I mentioned before, I painted a single coat of Matt dark green, light and dark sea grey plus fitted a Deagostini Spitfire pilot from Pete's Pilots and it really does look the part. Very pleased with it.

Am I correct in guessing that you've got the same problem as I had? I felt pretty stupid when I found out my mistake!

Hi Collin,

No this is my first venture in to Aircraft had RC boats when I was younger. I'm still struggling getting my head around the Chinese/English instructions, can't get passed continuous bleeping blush so I thought perhaps I was not using the correct Stick for the throttle but I don't think even I can be that stupid embarrassed. Have all weekend to sort it out so hopefully by Sunday afternoon I will have got it off the ground.teeth 2

Hi Collin,

just spent the last couple of hours trying to get it working but still no progress. The alert I seem to be getting is as follows:

A series of 3 rising beeps I think this is the one they refer to as 123

followed by:

Beep-, Beep-, Beep interval approximately 2 seconds this continues indefinately (this would seem to indicate that the ESC cannot detect the normal throttle signal).

Any help or advice you can give on this would be much appreciated.

Hi Richard and Jaycee.

1. Richard. I had this problem when I tried to bind the Dynam rx with the Spektrum Dx6 tx, it just wouldn't work. However, with the Dynam Tx it worked straight away. That's why I had to switch both the tx and rx, the Dynam and Spektrum aren't compatible.Not sure what your problem is. Assuming that you are most likely in Mode 2, with the throttle on the left, what position is the trim in? Have you tried it with the trim set in the high or the low position to see if that makes the difference? It should be set up with the trim in the high position.

2.Jaycee. I've got 3 good photos in "My Pictures", but I can't work out how to attach them onto this. Clearly you know how to do it, any advice please? A number of peoplele are offering this plane on Ebay, perhaps Nitrotek is worth looking at?

Hi Colin,

Many thanks for the suggestion unfortunately having tried it I still have the same issue.

Either I am missing something in the start up procedure, have a switch/control in the wrong position or it is a faulty unit, will persevere over the weekend and if I haven't sorted it by Sunday evening I guess I will be sending it back.

Richard

It's amazing how these things vary. I've just fitted a Corona 2.4 gig module to my JR 3810 and I've found that with that set up you need to turn the Rx on before the Tx to get it to bind. I hope that your experience with the Dynam radio solves Richard''s problem. Although I'm not using it because of the Mode 2 issue, it seems to be good quality and binding wasn't a problem with it when I tried it out.

Hi John,

Thanks for the info, now have it working and binding with ease, My next problem was having the throttle servo switch in the 'ON' position which reversed the control so when I had the stick in what I thought was the 'Zero' position I was in fact at full throttle... that sorted now I just need the wind to drop.

Thanks also to Colin for your help.

Regards,

Richard

That's brilliant, good luck Richard.When you fly it, some tips to bear in mind:- Like most "warbirds", it tends to go on it's nose on grass. It's better on hard runways. At the start of the take-off run, make sure that you have full up-elevator before you crack the throttle open, or you risk scraping the prop. (Just like a real Spitfire)!

It gets off the ground like a scalded cat, so you'll be backing off with the elevator very smartly. However, I've found that however much you abuse it, it doesn't tip stall and you seem to be able to get away with pretty much anything. It's extremely responsive to the controls on the standard settings and you can do beautiful scale barrel rolls. When you slow it down, it floats in like a feather and is dead easy to land.

The speed kings might want a bit more go and from the internet it looks as if the answer is to go to a 4S Li-Po, although it probably needs the esc uprating from 30A to 40A. Having said that, it can be flown in such a scale fashion anyway taht the wish to do that is a purely personal thing.

Finally, I find that the battery starts to lose power at about 10 minutes and it's best then to get the undercarriage down and think about landing it. On one occasion I stretched it to the limit and there wasn't enough power to get both wheels down, so that's when you aim for the grass. No damage though, it's seem to be quite resilient.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello guys im new to rc planes but have been an avid airplane enthusiast since i was a boy at 16 models and airshows but could never afford an rc plane last summer i was watching youtube and saw the dynam spitfire 1200mm and the price was surprisingly reasonable so i showed my dad and we watched loads of videos on all the various foamys and my dad said do you think you could fly one so i said yes next thing i know he has bought one so i did some swatting on different forums for best tips for plane setup and flying I do understand why the pros say not to start with a warbird as nervous thumbs is going to end in tears believe me i must have destroyed her at least 10 times but and i cannot believe how easy you can repair with some glue and cocktail sticks every crash just makes her stronger i was belly landing her at first until recently we found some nice waist ground which actually has a crossroad of lovely tarmac the nervous thumbs came back but have not had to repair her recently i will say this though 3s is ok for learning but once you think you can step up to 4s and a 40amp esc add some cooling holes and she will be transformed im 38 now and maybe because im from ps and twin stick genaration i picked it up quickly sure these planes have faults but they are easy fixed and endless fun for me a great first plane

Hi Michael, good stuff. The general advice is not to start with a Spitfire, it is usual to consider them as a more advanced project. However the Dynam Spitfire has got benign flying characteristics and can fly very slowly with out dropping a wing, so it is one that you might get way with, although some experienced advice at hand is desirable. Anyway, it sounds as if you have managed it, so congratulations. Here's mine, I haven't flown it for a while but it is ready to go.Dynam Spitfire after re-paint.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 16/02/2017 17:37:37

Thanks Colin I'm getting there I can put on quit a nice display now though I'm not confident enough to fly inverted unless I have some altitude which I don't mind I prefer scale displays and a real spit wouldn't have been inverted for long anyway although this model is more than capable u can even do inverted loops.your spitfire looks nice and immaculate mines got a quick coat of mk1 brown when I got her as I knew I'd be having some crashes once I have mastered my wheel landings she will be getting painted up in the proper colour's she's got some dings and scratches but as soon as she's off the ground you can't see them if you don't mind I'll keep you informed of my progress cheers.