Hitec AURORA 9

Barrie Dav 2

Advert

Looking at the manual for the Spectra 2.4 module used in the A9 it is CE marked for use in France but with the note of restricted frequency range(2.4056GHz to 2.4482GHz). But it fails to mention how you tell it you are actually in France!

I see the new Graupner MX-16 (model 33116.EN) has a option to select Europe or France in the menu and has more comrehensive telemetry support than the A9.

I'd say contact J Perkins (or email Hitec USA) and say that your a modeller going on holiday to France and want to use your transmitter there. I'll be very interested to see what response you get as I may be going on holiday to France this year (not quite decided yet) - and if so, I'll want to bring a model to chuck about. Hopefully it will be a magic button press to switch modes. You would have to rebind all your receivers though to take the new frequency allocation.

I have a strong suspicon however that Hitec may ship a different module to the french market. If they do, it'll be identical apart from a software change. Maybe the HPP-22 can be put into french and update the firmware to a french version using that?

Cheers,

Si.

Simon the first thing that I did was to contact Hitec direct and they replied that all of their equipment can be used worldwide and there was no adjustment possible within the equipment. I then sent them the wording of the French regulation about two weeks ago and pointed out that the Futaba 8FG can be adjusted.

Since then I've heard nothing more from them.

Looks like I'll be buying the Futaba.

Barrie

Just had a read up on it and it seems that next month (April 2012) it may not be an issue:

RC Frequencies in France

"From April 2012 we should also have the entire 2.4gHz band with no power restrictions however the current availability is restricted to

2400 – 2454 MHz 100mW

2454.5 – 2483.5 MHz 10mW"

If you are going to purchase the 8FG, be aware of the FASST vs S-FHSS issues and compatibility. You may wish to wait till the 8J to be released, depending on your needs. This debate has been done a lot in the "Futaba: Are they stark raving mad?" thread.

Don't under estimate the useful of telementry either. Again done to death on this forum too, however my view point is that its something that you don't relise how useful it is until you have it - and once you have it, you could never not have it again. Best analogy I can think of is a Sat Nav - you don't think how useful it is until you have one.

Si.

Just a bit more clarification:

Page 5:
"All commercially available 2,4 GHz radio control systems (2400 – 2483,5 MHz) are permitted and
recommended and we prefer to have all competitors using 2,4 GHz systems.
The limitation in France at 10mW on the upper part of the band (2454 - 2483,5 MHz) for an usage
outside a building should be cancelled mid 2012."
So no real firm dates, maybe its worth sending a quick email to FFAM (BMFA french equivalent for those that are reading who don't know) to clarify on dates?
As the complete band is allowed at full output power already indoors, I wouldn't worry. After all, I bet no-one switches between french mode and worldwide mode on their laptop in France when outside connecting to a wireless access point inside a building!
It's not worth restricting yourself to half of the 2.4GHz band if the legislation has changed, imo.
Si.

• 9 months later...

The frequencies page is available (not easily!) throught the FFAM extranet site here. However, it has not been updated at all and still shows the restriction, Barry.

However, in this thread on the Modelisme forum, you'll find a link in the 31st Oct post to confirm that the restriction was lifted from 1st July this year.

Bonne Annee!

Pete

Hitec issue three modules for 2.4Ghz systems:

UNIVERSAL 2.4GHz MODULE FOR AURORA 9, ECLIPSE 7, OPTIC 6 #28315
FRANCE 2.4GHz MODULE FOR AURORA 9, ECLIPSE 7, OPTIC 6 #28316
JAPAN 2.4GHz MODULE FOR AURORA 9, ECLIPSE 7, OPTIC 6 #28321

and

Spectra 2.4J Module - JR Telemetry Module NB: 3 different types = Universal, Japan & France
... TX RF Indicator light is inoperative, it is replaced by those on module

ex Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features

Alan Tong
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links