Have I Built A Brick?!

Ad's

Advert

I agree with Tony's comments re the power & BEC.

However the fact that it's high winged has no bearing on the speed or the drag. In any case the minimum speed that the model will have to fly at is determined by the wing loading & wing section not the drag.

Thats good then thanks, I think I'll give that set up a try then as it all sounds to be in the area of what has been advised, fingers crossed ay! Now that the clocks have sprung forward I cant wait to give it an airing in the eveningsteeth 2. If I can work out how to put a picture on here, I'll show all what my plane looks like as a first attempt at balsa bashing If anyones interested and I'll let you know how it goes on the flying bit too ( If it finally does that is )smile

PatMc,

I agree with what you are saying about high winged planes can be fast too, for example I have a Sig Wonder which is High Winged and goes around 100mph.

However I was simply stating, not having seen the design that generally speaking a high winged design tends to conjure up a slower more trainer style design in most people's minds, as most designs are of the slower variety when designed as a high wing.

• 4 months later...

Well it flew! I was watching it rise up off the ground, I was happy to see that it actually took off!face 20 Then at about 6' it pitched up and rolled inverted then nosed into the ground, just like that, it all happened so quick. I checked it over and saw that from the nose to just past the wing was smashed, the wing was ok and the rest was fine but the motor shaft was bentface 17. Ho hum back to the drawing board. I don't know but I think maybe the fin and rudder need to be bigger?? I know the C of G was right oh well I bet the Wright Brothers didn't get it bang on first time ay?! ( well it makes me feel better saying that anyway)

Just thought I'd give you all an update. On the upside I guess this gives me a chance to improve some or the design that I wasn't so happy with e.g battery access

Well said Ads, you are now a fully fledged modeller. We have all been there and also learned a lot in the process. I only wished this wonderfull forum was up and running when I started eons ago. Cheers FB3  ps don't  know enough about this leccy stuff yet, but I am sure someone  on here will come up with the answer to why, it pitched and rolled.  Cheers

Edited By fly boy3 on 05/08/2012 15:49:36

Edited By fly boy3 on 05/08/2012 15:50:33

Congratulations Ad's!. Proud of you son....(as my old grandad used to never say..) I'm so glad for you, it actually flew a bit so you got more right than wrong. Did you tilt the motor forward a bit when mounting so as to give about 2 or 3 degree's downthrust and slightly to the right about the same. The pitching up and the rolling seems indicative of this.(before you do major shape changing and re modelling and still end up with the same fault) Oh just listen to me as well.... lol!....and I've only just started building my own designs as well... as a matter of fact my first is at about the ARTF stage now, so I shall shortly be coming on here with my own sob story..Lol!!indecision

ah well that could be where I went wrong you know, I had it all square and plum - Doh! i'll have a go at that 2-3 degrees down and right thrust on mark II. good luck with yours Radge

If i knew how to put photos on here i would show the before and after shots if anyone's interested, just not sure how