WING WARPING

Ernie

Hi Guys,

What about wing warping (I do mean the intentional type) a la fokker eindecker, or the wonderful taube. The 1/4 scale eindecker that is sitting on my winter building board features this. It seems to me that important factors are....a powerful servo (I'm using a Hitec HS 645 MG), and a flexible wing, but of course not too flexible. The wing has 2 pine I shaped spars. I've routed out the web at the tip to try to make it bend a bit.  Finally, I'm not sure about a covering that will be flexible enough.

Someone out there must have cracked this one, and be able to save me a lot of hassle

ernie

Advert

I'm watching any response to this closely!  I have a 60" Eindecker half complete that I have been toying with using wing warping.  I have made it so that I can add dihedral if I decide against using warping but it goes against the grain to incorporate something non-scale (and ailerons are a definite no-no!).

Hi Chris,

for what it's worth, there is a replica with ailerons.It was bilt for film work in the UK .It's a bit of a fake, with modified tiger moth wings, and elevators instead of an all moving tailplane. You can just see one aileron in this pic

ernie
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/ernadele/eindeckerwithailron.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi

You should not need a particularly strong sevo for wing warping if you have built a true scale wing. The Eindecker (like most aircraft of that era) used a very thin section that relied entirely on the wire bracing for strength and rigidity, so if you move the bracing wires appropriately and the wing warps! Compared to ailerons the deflection required is small, just a few degrees at the tip.  This limited movement and the thin wing section means that the covering material should not wrinkle but remember you are moving the whole wing in the airflow so if there is any play in the system and you end up with serious and destructive wing flutter!