Reichard mefisto

Advert

I have used an Axi 2820/10 motor, Jeti 40-3p ESC, 11 x 6 Graupner Cam or Aeronaut folding prop and whatever suitable sized 3s lipo will fit in several electric gliders with good results. Make sure the battery pack is capable of delivering 40+ Amps.

There are cheaper alternatives available from HK, GC etc. with similar motor size and motor Kv.

This set up is currently in my Reichard Ellipsoid 2.8 mtr glider and gives a very good rate of climb.

I have an AXI 2820/10 & 3s 2300 lipo in a Reichard Classic which is 500mm greater span than the Mefisto. It only has a 10x6 prop in order to keep the current down to 30A but it's nicely aerobatic & has a good climb.

I think this E-power motor would be a good choice so long as the Mefisto can accomodate the 39mm dia.

The quality of the major parts were good with one or two niggles. The instructions were poor & in some parts impractical. I built the Classic 5 years ago so Reichard's may have addressed some of the issues in the meantime.

Overall I'm pleased with how the model looks & performs.

I saw a review of the model in one of the mags but it provide no useful information of the build. I took a number of pics when I built mine, possibly a retrospective build log might be of some relevence to other Reichard models as well as the Classic. I'll try & get round to posting something.

Posted by PatMc on 03/04/2012 22:41:00:

I have an AXI 2820/10 & 3s 2300 lipo in a Reichard Classic which is 500mm greater span than the Mefisto. It only has a 10x6 prop in order to keep the current down to 30A but it's nicely aerobatic & has a good climb.

I think this E-power motor would be a good choice so long as the Mefisto can accomodate the 39mm dia.

Pat, I believe that motor is one that mounts on the front of the model and not from behind a motor mount, as would be the case with an electric glider. just had a similar problem with one we bought to fit in a Multiplex Mentor. In other words - "It won't fit mate". wink 2

Edited By Devon Flyer on 04/04/2012 15:38:26

I just pushed the shaft through using a pillar drill as a press on both of mine. When the end of the shaft was flush with the body the second flat was in the right position as was the circlip with the washer in place. thumbs up

My 920KV version is in a moulded plastic Protech Unlimited fuselage that requires a front mounted motor.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted by PatMc on 04/04/2012 16:26:40:

I just pushed the shaft through using a pillar drill as a press on both of mine. When the end of the shaft was flush with the body the second flat was in the right position as was the circlip with the washer in place. thumbs up

Does that mean that the shaft needs not to be reversed as it has two flats - and that the end of the shaft at the first flat then accomodates the washer and circlip?

Ro.

Does that mean that the shaft needs not to be reversed as it has two flats - and that the end of the shaft at the first flat then accomodates the washer and circlip?

Ro.

That's right.

For example compare the Emax2815/09 at GC with the photo below of mine after the shaft has been reversed.

Emax2815/09

When the shaft has been reversed the only purpose of the circlip & washer is to prevent the possiblity of tyhe ball bearing moving out of place.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

It is great to see another person with a Reichard Mefisto '09. I bought one of these back in May 2011 and I would have to say it is still my most used plane (I fly a mixture of glow and electric sport as well as gliders).

My setup is not the most economical nor the most expensive. I am running:

-Hyperion GS3025-10
-Hyperion/Atlas 60amp ESC (BEC)
-Aeronaut 14x8 folding blades
-2 x HS-82 metal gear for ailerons
-1 x HS-82 metal gear for rudder
-1 x HS-65 metal gear for elevator
-11.1v 3000mAh 40C LiPo (Turnigy)

This gives vertical climbs and in 'no-lift' conditions I can easily get 20 minutes of climbing, diving, aerobatics and slow gliding flight.

I have yet to try bigger blades (15x8) to get the most from the GS3025-10 but as far as 'warm liner' performance goes, I think the setup is just right.

It is always a popular model at the club and it always gets praised for its flying characteristics.  Onlookers always comment on how deceptive the power and rate of climb of the model is, due to the low noise and 1-2 second delay before the prop unloads.

If you would like to know how I went with the build just let me know. I have a few pics of the more 'fiddly' steps that may help when deciphering the vague instructions.

Enjoy!

Edited By InvertedSnap on 18/06/2012 15:31:20