Blackhorse Hurricane 50-55 Petrol

Cookson

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would mention I have the Blackhorse Hurricane and the retracts supplied with it are nothing but junk. They actually sheared off on take off. I have had a set of oleos made by Unitract and they seem to be much better. The plane flys really nice, but I wish Blackhose would improve the hardware supplied with this kit. I have to say I would never purchase a Blackhorse kit again based on the problems I`ve had with this one. I am sure there are much better options out there.

Can`t wait to find out how you find yours.

• 2 months later...
Advert

I have to agree with Kawasakiz1. I got the Black Horse chipmunk kit and found the supplied fittings to be of poor quality. The undercarriage in particular looks to be quite substantial but on the first landing the wheels bent back under the body and the model nose dived cracking the cowling. the metal is very poor and bends very easily.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone........I too have just received my BH Hurricane here in Australia........after a six month wait......from what you guys have experienced I think I might have the MKll kit......some things seem to have been fixed......mainly the retracts.......screw holes all line up and all seems to be fine.......I have modded the elevator hook up to use a pushrod and single servo to save all that weight down the back end........you can see pics on my build thread on RCScaleBuilder website under ARF make overs

Cheers

Ted

Hi Cookson......weathering on topside nearly complete.....should have some pics tomorrow. I just use imagination ...and some luck.........biggest problem is knowing when to stop.

For this model I am using thinned Humbrol enamel.......matt black and dark brown....with a good dollop of the matt clear I am using and then normal thinners sprayed with a fine point airbrush......it is easy to build up then.........prior to that humbrol silver is brushed/dry brushed on the allly panels where It would normally wear......plus a bit of dirt on the wing tops around the gun panels.......will post some pics tomorrow night on RCSB

Cheers

Ted

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone....well She flies.....and very well........was worried about the CofG....looked to be too far forward.....but is spot on as per the book. Motor sag on take off was a bit scary so got the gear up quick......but motor came on song and all was well....can see here........

**LINK**

Cheers

Ted

Not only Ted was I envious of your model but you had to go and add salt to my wounds by flying in nice blue skies with fluffy white clouds and to make matters worse some of your crew were wearing shorts !cheeky

It's just started snowing here in old Blighty and yes I know it's your summer !

Nice landing btw on one wheel, seems your UC or at least the one was strong enough !

Cheers.

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 18/01/2013 10:46:37

Thanks guys......yes take off was a bit scary.....got the gear up quick in case of outlanding......fortunately the motor came on song and all was ok after that.......and yes it was warm...35c that day.....would you believe 45c here today.......broke some records I believe............the retracts seem to be OK......quite well built...its the mounts that are the unknown bit.........time will tell of course...not all landings will be perfect.

Cheers

Ted

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am really quite peed off with this kit at the moment & blackhorse, I would seriousley consider my next purchase, if it were to be a blackhorse kit I think not !!

I have had a lot of problems with this kit.

1st major biggie was the tail plane, it did'nt align square to the wings, when the tube was inserted & the tail planes slid on, they were not square with the fuselage, I had to elongate the tube hole in the fuse to allow it to line up square & then used resin & microfibre to set it in place.

2nd biggie is the undercarrige !! what a joke this has turned out to be. 1st the kits had upgraded retracts supplied, so the mounting holes in the wings had to be moved as the new Oleos were longer. The Oleos themsevles are made of cheese !! so last week after loosening the screws around the retract spigot to line the wheels up fore & aft the threads in the cheese were not able to be retightened sufficiently to stop the legs from wobbeling around on the spigots, seeing that this is going to cause a failure in the future, I have now decided to order some new Custom Made Oleos from Unitracts for a cost of £40, so this is the 3rd set of retracts/Oleos & it's not even got off the ground yet !!!!

As I have said before the hardware supplied with this kit is of poor quality, most of the screws are made from the same cheese as the Oleos.

Do I feel any better now ?

No not really !!!

Edited By Cookson on 26/03/2013 10:29:11

Edited By Cookson on 26/03/2013 10:30:46

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Cookson.....sorry to hear of your problems with this kit........I must say that mine has been no problem ...so far....one thing you will need to do is epoxy some solid timber rails under the retract support rails......BH only use laminated ply and it will break......how do I know???

Mine all lined up Ok......the retracts are a bit wobbly shall we say but so far have not proved to be any problem...I did fit new wheels at 3 1/2 inch dia......the supplied wheels did not have much clearance.

I am flying mine again tomorrow and really looking forward to it as the ASP 180 is a bit more run in now and with a Master 20 x 6 prop looks and sounds great and is ample power.

Hope you get it sorted

Cheers

Ted

Hi Cookson ...again,,,,,think about the 2 servos in the tail end........even moving mine right up front I still needed 21/2 pounds of lead in the nose.......with 2 standard servos in the tail that would have been 41/2 pounds for sure........like all hurricanes you need to keep the rear end light

Cheers

Ted

• 4 years later...