Acrowot Foam E versus Wot 4 Foam E

IanR

Rob - care with slowing the AcroWot-e down too much on landing - there isn't much difference in speed between a sweet three pointer and an arrival. Yes the A/W-e will float, a bit, but she will snap too, and if she does she needs some height to recover, however wheelers look really nice and no chance of an inelegant arrival and consequent damage.

Advert

I have yet to see my AW 'snap' apart from when I deliberately initiate it. In fact when prompted to stall my AW simply mushes, drops it's nose and recovers, and that with a rearward CG too. It's very important to balance a plane laterally as this can very much cause a wing to drop at slow speed.

Some of you have mentioned the battery access and possible solutions. Here is what I did for my son's foam-e :-

I extended the esc to battery wires to come out of the hole underneath the plane then cut a small notch out of the battery cover to allow the battery wires to come out. Might not look the neatest, but is definitely the easiest and safest! Sitting on its wheels, standing behind it, easily plug in with no risk of little fingers in propellers if it decides to spin up.......which can and has happened.

As an owner of both Wot4 Foam-E and Acro-Wot Foam-E There is no hesitation in saying the Acro-Wot is the better choice.

I like both but I find the Acro-Wot lands better ,is less prone to nose-overs when landing , and the undercarriage mounting seems less prone to breaking off when hitting those ruts, ( Wot4 has had many repairs to the undercarriage) .

I think the Acro-Wot looks better too

Thanks Gurth for the warning about slow speed - I will try out at height before doing it near the ground. Great photo Ian. Thought you might like to see how I have customised the 'paint' job on the acro-wot using one sheet os solar trim (90x40cm). I can testify it helps orientation a lot at distance and I think looks cool on the ground.acro-wot custom finish

Wow! Looks great - I like the black undercarriage. One thing I don't understand is why the canopy isn't more easily removable so you could insert a pilot - it's not a scale plane but it's got scale outlines...

Hi!

I'll add my two'penneth...

I had an Acrowot Foam-e, and it didn't just climb under power it went almost vertical. The incidence was MILES out and is discussed here.

I obviously had a 'Lemon' and I would not want this to put anyone off

So took out the Acro-Wot again yesterday for a few more flights even though it was quite windy 12-14kn. Flew OK - went vertical from take off with any sort of power but it can be held in the circuit easy enough. However, I have now learnt - murder to taxi in a wind, the tail just wants to turn around or it wanted to take off again. Also much more difficult to land, probably because it just wanted to take off again - its a light plane. In fact on the last flight it did take off again momentarily even though I landed about 2 metres away and minor easily repairable damage to u/c resulted.

Regarding the incidence thing - I have noticeable down trim on the elevator on mine (about 7mm) to get it to fly level with fairly low cruise power on. The tailplane is set firm into the fuselage so the slight ballooning I get isn't because of that. Im going to check the incidence too.

I have both the Wot4 and Acrowot foam-e.

I prefer the Acrowot as It's less affected by wind (which there always seems to be plenty of!) and feels more accurate to fly.

I took both out yesterday and had to take off across the runway (fly at an old disused airfield) due to the cross winds, but it was in the air within 10 feet. Landing was difficult ( I haven't been flying long) as we had turbulance off some trees and thermals? from the heat off the runway. Most of my landings ended up about 30 feet longer than anticipated followed by the cross wing pushing it onto the grass!

I don't think either plane make good trainers unless you live somewhere where there is no wind, but on the other hand they certainly teach you aileron and rudder control as they can be really twitchy on a windy day.

Hi Ian,

I removed horizontal stab, and the tail wheel bracket. I then marked the new stab position with a sharpie, and using a scalpel with a new blade, I cut away what was needed, and then used foam off cuts to make up any gaps when the stab is placed back in. Go EASY on both sides, or it will end up lopsided, like me. I then replaced the tail wheel assembly and the screws that hold the back end together.

Keep checking with an incidence gauge!

RobK -looks like I was not the ony one then!!!! I had 6-7mm of down to get it to fly level!

Edited By Stevo on 08/06/2015 17:43:51

Stevo, thanks for the reply. Do I understand correctly that you removed foam from the top-front of the stab slot in the fuselage and the bottom-rear in order to get the stab to be higher at the front and lower at the rear?

I also need about 6mm of down elevator but the thing still doesn't feel right - certainly nothing like the others I've seen being thrown around the sky in gay abandon.

It seems that there is a definite manufacturing fault here but I don't suppose Ripmax will own up to anything - its been months since I sent them an email asking them to comment on my difficulties but no reply, of course.

So, in addition to the price of the Acrowot, I should have factored in the additional cost of an incidence gauge and as for "ready to fly in 30 mins" - ha!

Ian

Edited By IanR on 08/06/2015 18:56:56

No, Stevo, I'm oop t'north. I'm glad to see you say that it will fly differently with the incidence sorted. Now, can I be bothered to faff about producing a homemade incidence meter or do I bite the bullet and fork out 50/60 quid, or more, and buy one?

Ian

Everyone's up north on this forum... except Cymaz.

Well you could borrow mine, but by the time the p&p is sorted you could have bought your own... Dont try it without one, though...

Edited By Stevo on 08/06/2015 20:49:09

Posted by robk on 06/06/2015 22:57:10:

Wow! Looks great - I like the black undercarriage. One thing I don't understand is why the canopy isn't more easily removable so you could insert a pilot - it's not a scale plane but it's got scale outlines...

it'd probably be easier to cut a hole in the cockpit floor & poke a pilot through

Stevo, many thanks for the heads up. I bid for the thing but was outbid - it sold for £41 incl postage.

I'm going to try something else. The plastic parts of Hangar 9's Angle Pro incidence meter are available as spares, and Hangar 9 sell a 36" long bar for the Angle Pro, also as a spare. I have ordered these for only £17. I have an ipad and have downloaded a digital level gauge app which repeats very accurately.

I am hoping that, by setting up the Angle Pro parts on the wing and stab, I can then use the ipad to get readings by resting the ipad on top of the bar. It would no doubt be better to use an iphone - much smaller and lighter - but I haven't got one.

I'll let you know how I eventually get on. Ian.