Outboard fuselage switch

Advert

Hi Jo,

making your own removable link is the best way to go, remember that a switch would have to deal with 30, 40 amps or higher, and that would need quite a large switch which would increase weight. I have seen the magnetic type on the net which claims to get over this problem but they are expensive.

So I would go with Martin and fit a "U" link.

Tony

Here's my version Josep, 2x 4mm plugs with a piece of wire soldered accross. I then glue the two insulated sockets into a block and leave the twin plug in while the glue dries. This sets the spacing spot on.

The black one here was for charging A123's in situ, I'm not going to be doing that now...

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 14/04/2012 12:25:49

There is another very simple way of achieving the same end if you use standard 4mm gold connectors between battery and ESC. Just route the red ESC lead through a hole in the side of the fuselage, and make another hole for the red battery lead so that they can be connected or disconnected externally. I've used this for years on one of my models. It might look a bit crude on the ground, but can't be seen when it's flying, and there is no danger of a swtich not being able to cope with the current.

I don't have a photo of this in my album, but if you need to see a pikky I'll happily take one and post it below.

RW

• 4 weeks later...

Not elegant as you suggest but certainly practical & safe:it can take a while to get the wing off especially if it has strut support.I'm with you Josip.Just heading into winter down here in Tassie so will be looking at my fleet of helis to occupy my leasure time & maybe set up a new fixed wing model.

• 4 weeks later...

Like DH82 I'm a bit worried here Josip.....I doubt that switch is man enough for the job. Does it have any DC ratings on it?? DC & AC are very different to switch....probably not an issue on a 3S battery but DC switching generally needs bigger gaps than AC

I think some of the other methods would be a better if less neat solution. IMHO you will melt that switch over time & I guess if that switch fails all power to the ESC & hence the radio (via the BEC) will fail too.......not good...sad