what glue to use?

chris edwards 3

Advert

I'll second aliphatic. Similar to PVA, but much easier to sand and fills small gaps too. I use it for nearly all my building.

I use contanct adhesive for skinning wings etc, and fuselage doublers. (Don't tell anyone but the stuff from the pound shop seems fine.)

Joiner's Mate from Screwfix is like thinner Gorilla glue. Its a Polyeurethans glue, and foams when it comes into contact with moisture. It can be useful in hidden areas for filling gaps, and huge strength for very little weight. Lots of folks like this kind of glue for fixing pin type hinges too.

I also inversed in Delux Materials canopy glue, which seemed to work very well indeed.

Edited By GrahamC on 19/04/2012 18:03:38

thank for the advice on the glue, one thing that does puzzel me is that on the glue tubes it says a spesific drying/setting time, but when ever i use them it always takes about 5 times as long for it to set.

would the fact that i am working in a freezing cold garage have somting to do with the drying/setting times of the glue?

i also need to to some reparing on a glider with a foam wing, so could you advise me on what glue to use to do this job

Edited By chris edwards 3 on 19/04/2012 20:24:00

Posted by chris edwards 3 on 19/04/2012 20:17:04:

thank for the advice on the glue, one thing that does puzzel me is that on the glue tubes it says a spesific drying/setting time, but when ever i use them it always takes about 5 times as long for it to set.

would the fact that i am working in a freezing cold garage have somting to do with the drying/setting times of the glue?

Set times are usualy measured at about 25 deg C. , it seems to be an adhesive industry standard that most companies stick with

Glues with chemical reaction cure such as epoxy the set time doubles for every 10C colder and halves every 10C hotter ,

Most epoxy should not be used below 7C ( as it may not cure at all ) but there are some grades such as our new formula five minute epoxy that will set down to -18C ( but is still slower at that low temp)

Cyano is slightly slower in a cold winter due to low humidity in the air

Solvent based adhesives are slowed  but at varying evaporation rates, it can change a lot as the solvents evaporate slower at cold temperature but its not so easy to say as 10C each way etc

Waterbased glues such as PVAc or Aliphatic resin are slower in cold weather and faster in hot weather due to change of evaporation rate , 

Waterbased glues should never be used or stored in freezing conditions, use above 10C is best . Below this temperature the beads of glue suspended in the water are too hard to join together as the water evaporates and you get a polymer dust when dry not a polymer film due to the temperature being below the minimum film forming temperature

Edited By StarLoc FiveStar Adhesives on 19/04/2012 20:52:02

Edited By StarLoc FiveStar Adhesives on 19/04/2012 20:54:38

Edited By StarLoc FiveStar Adhesives on 19/04/2012 20:58:04

Re setting times: yes some glues do depend on temperature to set - epoxy is an example, it sets faster in warm conditions.

CA - it doesn't make a lot of difference as it sets basically by absorbing water vapour from the air - so in very dry conditions it can take longer to go off.

PVA's and Aliphatics also like it a little on the warm side - it promotes the polymerisation that is their setting mechanism.

Having said that - I agree. I estimate that 5 min epoxy at room temp starts to "go-off" in about 8-10 mins but takes close on an hour to really set hard. 30min expoxy - allow 24 hours at least! Finally quality matters. I always keep some 5min Araldite around - good general purpose expoxy easy to get. That is until I went into B&Q earlier this week on the way home from work - no Araldite sad. So I bought B&Q's own brand epoxy - I can't say I'd recommend it. 48 hours later - its still a bit "slimey"! I wont be buying that again.

BEB

PS Beaten to it by the experts!

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 19/04/2012 20:53:22