June 2012 edition - Speedo Pro Mk2 Review

Advert

Could I ask for a sanity check regarding the centre of gravity mentioned in the magazine? As a newbie I have set the CoG at 70mm from the root of the leading edge as suggested. My problem is whilst I can set the balace point with ease, the weight required as ballast in the nose is significantly less than suggested in the article. I required only 65g as opposed to the 90g stated. Am I missing something ,other than 25g of lead , or have I not understood something that at first glance seems straight forward?

I wouldn't worry to much about how much added weight you've put in the nose as there are too many possible variables between your build and the magazine build. The best thing for you to do, IMO, is to set the CG at the 70mm mark and fly it. Take it up high and do a dive test and see what happens, then adjust the weight as necessary.

Steve

A470Soaring.blogspot.com

Well, the maiden voyage resulted an almost perfect glide from the outset. Only a little bit of elevator trim was required for a couple of flights lasting a total of over an hour! Not a bad start at all in near perfect weather. I've not flown a true glider previously, I've only had the radian pro as experience and the zagi, but this was an absolute joy.

Just for future reference, will spares available for the speedo should the inevitable happen at some point Rob?

Well I put another crack in the fus below the wing on a not particularly hard landing. At this rate the model will be going in the bin soon as it will resemble crazy paving and will weigh a ton due to the amount of carbon I've had to use to make repairs. So my current thoughts on the model are:

1) Great flier

2) Poor fuselage build quality

I was thinking of buying the Mk3 but am having second thoughts now.sad

Many people choose to add a layer of cloth for extra strength from the back of the wing through to the nose. Guess it all depends on the site you fly from; and what type of landings you have! The same could be said for may other models.

With all models it is a trade off between strength and weight. Being a small model - designed for good performance in light wind; the body is kept light for good reason!

I personally have never managed to actually break the body in a crash. The wing yes.. but not the body.

Rob

I've discovered that models with a 1 piece wing, that sit on the top of the fus, with a large hole for access to the aileron servo cables etc, all seem to have this weak area below the wing seat, something you don't seem to get with 2 piece wings. My Baudis Banana is the same and I've had to reinforce the area below the wing seat with carbon, and have had no problems since. Maybe I had a bad fus on my Speedo!

As for the Speedo wings? No problems, they seem as tough as old boots thumbs up So if the wings do out live the fus, maybe I'll make a balsa fus.

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 25/05/2012 14:26:48:

I've discovered that models with a 1 piece wing, that sit on the top of the fus, with a large hole for access to the aileron servo cables etc, all seem to have this weak area below the wing seat, something you don't seem to get with 2 piece wings. My Baudis Banana is the same and I've had to reinforce the area below the wing seat with carbon, and have had no problems since. Maybe I had a bad fus on my Speedo!

As for the Speedo wings? No problems, they seem as tough as old boots thumbs up So if the wings do out live the fus, maybe I'll make a balsa fus.

Ever since my Filip600 I have re-enforced at least the corners of the fuse's wingseat of every ARF I've owned. The only one I didn't do it with was a 2nd hand F5J model, and after a 1.5 season flying her, just last week I had to lay down some fiberglass because of cracks that started showing.

• 1 month later...

So... time ticks on and at Slopeside we are pushing for some new models in the Speedo series.

For those of you who have tried the Speedo III Lite, you will have no doubt found that it performs better with a little ballast. We are in the process of getting a round 2 set built with more glass on the body, and a ballast tube. Some way off.. but keep posted!

Now.. I have been banging on about this for some time, and finally have had a set of models built. These models follow the ever popular Speedo II format.

One small difference... Flaps!

I have not yet got my hands on one (soon to be shipped to us) but I am excited. The use of Flaps will open up the models performance, and allow the ever usefull crow!.

With all things - there is a degree of compromise. I believe at this point we will be limited to micro 4 channel receivers. (some 6 channels may fit, but in my experience a 4 channel is simpler)

What does this mean?

If you go down the 4 channel rx route, you will probably need to look at a Y lead to power the 2 servos for the flaps. That way you get aileron, full flaps, half flaps, crow.

If however you can squeeze in the 6channel.. well. Anything goes smiley

A couple of teaser photos are shown below.

01.jpg

03.jpg

Rough eta on the initial (and very limited) sample of gliders is 2 weeks.

When I say limited. We have 5 on the way, and I have already taken one!

If anyone is particually keen on one... and would like to pre-order. PM me. (note. we have a red,blue & black color scheme on route)

Next on the list... anyone interest in a foam & veneer winged version?

Rob

Edited By Rob Thomson - Slopeside on 03/07/2012 14:20:01

• 2 weeks later...

If it aint broke why fix it? In my opinion the thing that makes the speedo so successful is its simplicity - light weight, cheap, durable. I have had a Speedo Pro Mk II for a few years and love it, it flies in a massive range of lift conditions, record I think for speed is 99mph for an unmodded kit! It lands perfectly well using a 2 servo wing using optional spoileron mixing. If you do break the wing (not done this yeat) its easy to fix. I fee l that if you are going down the root of 4 servo wings foam construction etc you would be better off spending a bit more for one of the many sub £200 moulded 4 servo wing models available. I'll put my soap box away now!

• 2 weeks later...

And the Speedos IIX's have Landed!! (Well four of them have)

Few notable points with these updated speedos models!

The fusalage on these models is possibly the best I have seen come out of the factory! They have (at our request) upped the glass layer count to 8 layers of cloth. The body is simply solid, no flex at all. So perfect for all those tough slope sites.

The wings are as described earlier in the thread. You now have flaps + ailerons on the wings - So a full house radio is required!

I personally am very excited; and cant wait to get out with one!

Rob

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I am just about to hit the buy button on the Speedo Mk2 !!! I have no experience of slope gliders but have flown most of PZ war birds and still fly the Radian Mk1.

Is this speedo going to be a handfull for me do you think? Oh how I hate to prang my birdss no matter how cheap they are !!!!

Lastly the space inside the fuze looks very limited so what RX do you guys recomend to use with my DX6i???

Cheers all.

Jim.