June 2012 edition - Speedo Pro Mk2 Review

Advert

Hi James.

Welcome to the black art of sloping....smiley

I've been flying powered models for about 5 years now and had my first go at sloping about a year ago now.

It is addictive, I have not flown powered now for months......

As for a Speedo for a first sloper I must say no.

Nothing wrong with the Speedo...I'm hoping to maiden my one with flaps tomorrow.....but I suggest something foam to start of with.

I highly recommend the Wild Thing or a Weasel as a first model,both fly great and BOUNCE.....wink

Good luck.

Phil

Hi James

I would go with Big Phil when he says to start with a foamie. I would choose a SAS Wildthing or Fusion. They are both very stable, fun to fly and bounce when they hit the ground.

When you do get round to buying a Speedo, choose the smallest RX you can get. I use mine with a DX6i and have an AR500 in it. But it is a VERY tight fit in there and I had to remove the plastic cover to get it in. I chose to fit mine in the nose, in front of the battery pack because there isn't any room in there to fit an on/off switch, so I needed easy access to be able to push the battery connecter into the RX pins to switch it on, and of course the RX has to be fitted width ways as the connector pins are on top.

One other thing I would strongly recommend before you fly one is to re-enforce the inside of the fuselage around the wing seat with glass or carbon fibre. This appears to be a weak spot and even an ordinary landing can cause the fus to crack, usually towards the corners of the wing seat. I'm not the only one who has experienced this so I know it just isn't me.

But don't let this put you off. Mine is still flying and I'm going out shortly to give mine another thrashing.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Steve

A470Soaring.blogspot.com

I have a FrSky FASST-compatible TFR-6 rx in mine. It sits under the canopy with the battery as far forward as it can go. Like Steve, I don't use a switch but just plug the battery lead directly into the rx when ready to go. The rx is a "snug" fit - but it does fit!

I haven't reinforced my fuz, and no problems with it (yet!), but if others recommend it I wouldn't say don't do it - just that I've got away (so far) with not doing it.

By total coincidence Rob was present when I first flew mine (I'd never met him before) and he probably still remembers my ear-to-ear grin after landing it!

I came to slope soarers via power models (f/wing and heli, which I still fly as well) and found landings the biggest "challenge" on the slope. I'd probably make the Speedo a second model after something a bit more "bouncy" - ie made of foam!