Spectrum DX8 v Hitec Aurora 9 v Futaba 8

I have a Spekkie DX6i at the moment but have run out of slots for my 12 planes. I want to move to a more advanced radio as I plan to move to larger scale models and get a bells and whistles glider for sloping. I have researched all of the above radios to death but I can't make up my mind.

My club almost exclusively use Futaba radios, the 6 and 8 models and they have a very low opinion of Spektrum radios due to unexplained crashes in the past that caused them to move to Futaba (although imo, a lot of "unexplained crashes" are pilot error). I have had no issues with my Spektrum DX6i and so a move to the DX8 would be logical as I could keep all my old rxs. However the Futaba radio looks like a solid piece of kit and makes the DX8 look cheap in comparison. The Hitec's touchscreen looks great though and the two guys I know who have this radio think its the best thing since sliced bread.

You can probably see why I'm confusedsad

Any opinions?

Advert

You will find that everyone thinks their brand is best! For myself i moved to futaba many years ago and it was the best. Then I got a good deal on JR and it was the best. Now I have moved to Hitec and it's the best!

At the end of the day it's what is best for you. Set your budget, decide your must have features and then get to the LMS or shows and get your hands on them - see what feels right.

For me the choice was down to model memories, ease of updates and the fact I didn't like the JR robot face! But I have to say that now I have the A9 I would not swap to anything else.

I too have a DX6i. The Spektrum DX8 is a good radio, but I understand that it is a bit lacking if you're wanting to fly a high spec glider, and I am a glider guider.

I need to progress and the DX6i doesn't have the mixes I require for CROW or snap flaps etc etc, so I have just ordered the Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro. The reason for this over the Aurora 9 is cost, plus do I really need a touch screen? That alone is going to boost the cost. When you read the blurb for the glider settings on both models, both TX's seem to offer the same facilities except that I think the Aurora has a 20 model memory over the Eclipse's 16, only the Eclipse is about £100 cheaper.

Steve

A470Soaring.blogspot.com

You will find answers to almost all your questions regarding the Aurora 9, and the Hitec telemetry system, together with comparison charts under the Hitec Support Forum Sticky:

Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

. New Eclipse 7 2.4 PRO

. Hitec Eclipse & Eclipse 7 Pro - All Manuals, Addenda, Quick Setup, CCPM and Additional Programming FAQ

and both systems under
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ." at:

Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.

Edited By A.T. on 04/05/2012 00:53:41

I have both the DX8 and the Aurora, and here's my opinion about these:

Aurora: Very nice radio with everything I will ever need in terms of programming. Large touch-screen makes programming much easier than on the DX8. Rock-solid RF link and a nice quality feel of the transmitter itself. Relatively cheap receivers, compared to other brand names. This is my main transmitter.

DX8: Feels a bit "plastic" and cheap compared to the Aurora, and the smaller screen and roller wheel makes programming a bit more time-consuming. Other than that, it's a good radio! I like the integrated charger, the backlit display and the ability to use it with BNF models (main reason for buying it).

If I had to make a choice, I would choose the Aurora, but if you already have committed to Spektrum and have several receivers already, then I think you will be happy also with the DX8.

/Leif

Edited By LAN on 04/05/2012 09:19:11

Edited By LAN on 04/05/2012 09:19:28

Thank you one and all for the replies. The "next big step up" in radio terms is going to be a lot of money which is why I have to make the right choice. I've only ever used Spektrum radios (DX5 and DX6) but my club don't use Spektrum and have a very low opinion of their range of radios. They've even gone so far as to say they should be banned from the club as they are below par radios. All these put downs over my choice of radio are getting up my nose and I'd almost buy a DX8 just to annoy them. However I'm more mature than that (???) which is why I'm considering the Hitec and Futaba. The Hitec's telemetry appeals (I know the DX8 has this too) but I have a Quanum telemetry gizmo that I bought from Hobbyking that gives me my flight packs voltage so that would suffice if I go with Futaba. Long term reliability is what I really want, especially if I buy bigger more expensive models. My head says Futaba, my heart says Hitec but my wallet is screaming DX8 (by keeping my current stock of rxs).

You can tell I've been agonising over this decision for months.

David...I think Colins advice was spot on..go and see which set feels best for you, after all it's you who is going to use it, not your clubmates. Perhaps their negativity stems from old issues surrounding DSM2 and they havn't realised that Spektrum have moved on.

Andrew

Oh!...Having thought about it..forget the last bit..just buy the Futaba..rock solid reliability LOL!!smile p

I was Futaba all the way until I decided to buy a Transmitter that was a bit more programmable. I looked at the Futaba but was swayed by the high price of receivers and that they have bought out another system to FASST. I'm sceptical that Futaba wont end up with FASST being 'high end' and new system 'low end' Of course, replace the words 'high end' with the words' very expensive' and that swayed me.

So, I bit the bullet, sold all the Futaba stuff and bought an Aurora 9, its excellant. Receivers are much cheaper and as its got the touch screen you rarely, if ever, need the instruction book!

small world bucksboy...i was of the same opinion ..... but the price of the fasst system put me off and the new T8J was going to be the one i bought as it was based on the FF9 software.....but for some strange reason without the specific 'wing' set up's for glider's..... so i changed tack had a look at the A9....and also bought one and up to now am glad i did..

ken anderson hitec/A9 dept.