Any ideas where to get tube

Redstorm

I've recently finished building a multiplex mentor and have noticed that the wings are a little loose as the holes that the wing securing bolts pass through are bigger than the bolts them selves.

I propose to cut a couple of 1 inch ( approx the thickness of the wing ) pieces of 7mm OD x 5mm ID tubes and glue them to the end of the wing halves. The idea being this will hold the bolts much more snuggly and prevent the lateral movement that I have currently.

So I see Leeds model shop stock carbon fibre tube of that size albeit in 1 metre lengths which is about 95 cm too long and it strikes me as a bit of overkill, and a long drive from Manchester, just to get a couple of pieces of tube. So I'm asking if anyone else has any ideas for a suitable alternative tube?

Any ideas anyone?

Advert

Alan thats a very kind offer, many thanks.

I need two lengths, one 22mm and one 27mm with an ID of 5mm to hold an M5 bolt. What would you make them from? CF, brass, Alu? Does CA stick metal?

I asume your fairly local to me then? Shall I come and colect them from you?

I've got the multiplex specific glue which is recommended for my plane so I know its ok. 

Edited By Redstorm on 11/05/2012 22:25:14

Posted by Alan Cantwell on 11/05/2012 22:11:59:

wait till monday, and i will knock a couple up for you, and you have to have foam safe cyno, standard stuff, and its activator will melt the model

Standard cyano does not melt the foam, and Multiplex specifically warn against using foam safe cyano or epoxy.

Posted by Redstorm on 11/05/2012 21:38:18:

I've recently finished building a multiplex mentor and have noticed that the wings are a little loose as the holes that the wing securing bolts pass through are bigger than the bolts them selves.

Any ideas anyone?

I don't see what it will achieve, as the holes are between the wing halves, ie half the hole is on one wing and half the hole on the other wing.

The bolts only provide downward force to hold the wing onto the fuselage, and to hold the wing locators down onto the wing, they do not hold anything in position themselves.

In fact, unless you glue the wings together, you could only glue the tube onto one wing.

If the glue joint between the wing and tube was strong, the tubes would probably cause damage to the wing in the event of a hard landing.

having had a google on the multiplex,   it is indeed suggested that foam safe is not used,     stange foam, this eleapor,       as for the tube, if what is said above is right,  me thinks more investiagtion is requiered by the builder

Edited By Alan Cantwell on 12/05/2012 11:20:36

Yes, multiplex warn against foam safe cyano but I have the original multiplex specified glue so I know its ok as I have already built the plane with it.

@Steve

I note your comments but I noticed the other day that there was a little lateral movement of the wings when installed and bolted down. maybe i had not tightened the bolts enough but with them being nylon didnt want to overtighten them. Maybe one of my 'hard' landings gave the wings a ding and compressed the foam that creates the hole for the bolt when the two halves are put together. So my idea was to glue two short tubes to the end of one wing half thus closing the gap around the bolt and preventing any movement. I also thought that in the event of another rough landing the tubes would prevent the bolts from causing further damage to the foam, hopefully with the tubes putting more stress on the nylon bolts and ensuring they dd actually break.

What are your thoughts Steve as a Mentor pilot yourself?

@Alan

Which town is the shop in, maybe pop along and say Hi. Is this your day job?

I would be reluctant to make the wings a snug fit on the bolts, as anything between the wings will act as a fulcrum and make the wings slide off the spar, it is the cones on the wing retainers that stop the wings sliding apart in fligtht, but allow them to slide under impact.

If I remember correctly (I can't get the wings out until the weekend) there is a protrusion under the wings that fitsinto the fuselage that stops the movement you mention. If this has been "dented" it may allow slight movement, Maybe a couple of 1/2" wide strips od that very thin (more like paper) foam packing you get around electronic good, paced between the wing and fuselage would make it a firmer fit again.

If you want to put tube on the bolts, what about a couple of layers of heat shrink tube?

As a resident Mancunian myself are you aware of the RC model shop in Bolton just off the M61 - much nearer than the (excellent) Leeds model shop? I use both and Blackburn...

Bolton shop can be found at: www.hobbyandmodel.co.uk - doesn't really tell you what materials they stock but you can call them and download a map for their location.

Jon