2012 UK Model Gyro Meet

Cali

Gents we are only 47 days away from this years Model Autogyro Meet at Winterton!

If your planning on coming along to meet a great bunch of gyro nuts and would like to book in for the weekend you can contact myself "Cali" details on the poster or contact our Events Organiser:

Geoff Dales at [email protected] or call 07952 369569.

day visitors are very welcome to come fly or just come along and find out what its all about.

2012 Poster

Where we are

Advert

Cali,

Looking forward to the Fly-in, without doubt the biggest gathering of model autogyros in the world at the moment.

A great bunch of chaps who always make us feel welcomethumbs up, lets hope for good weather this year with a little less wind!

I am hoping to get a few buddy leads so that those who want to have a feel can do in both mode 1 and 2 if they havent a model.

Rich

• 1 month later...

Well it was windy but over the weekend we saw around 70 different model autogyros turn up and most of them flew.

Had plenty of fun with balloon popping, slow racing from point to point , backwards racing and a bit of night flying. Had the pleasure of a Merlin full size fly-in on the saturday, the pilot Chris popped along on the Sunday to fly one of his models.

A great weekend had by all but I'm still feeling tired, just a few photos of a handful of the models. I will upload more when I have more time, have a lot of video footage to sift thru aswell.

Rich

img_0315.jpg

Chas Malcolm was the first into the air on Friday, all smiles after a nice flight to calm those nerves.

img_0367.jpg

Yours truely flying my Fire Fly night flier, I have got sme good footage of another chap flying his doing loops etc in the dark...nut case!

img_0437.jpg

Some of you may knw Joe from the Rc Hotel in Corfu? the above model is one of many he brught along. A scale version of an American autogyro called the 'Little Winged Autogyro'

img_0451.jpg

Wot 4 conversion again by Joe, flies better than it fixed winged brother!

img_0452.jpg

Richard Elliot with his Super Sixty converted to a Whirly gig!

img_0489.jpg

RCM&E's 'KESTREL' enlarged by 1.7 times, flew superb!

img_0565.jpg

img_0582.jpg

Joe yet again with his Italian 'Gyro one', nice but expensive!

img_0647.jpg

Kay profile model.

img_0650.jpg

Micro Stik conversion

img_0670.jpg

Gyro one's

img_0687.jpg

This is Chris, the pilot of the full size gyro flying on Sunday with his Minimum.

img_0688.jpg

img_0699.jpg

Event organiser Calum Manroe with his latest creation, 53 cc twin with timing altered to run backwards so a standard size prp can be used.

img_0700.jpg

A few more photos

img_0462.jpg

img_0456.jpg

Ian Smiths OD pusher type model

img_0392.jpg

Ian Smith's 'Scout' night flier

img_0498.jpg

Trevor with his Pitcairn PCA-2

img_0506.jpg

Full size coming in to land.

img_0704.jpg

Cali's pre rotator

img_0651.jpg

Dave launching his 'REX'

img_0695.jpg

Cali's engine instalation

img_0669.jpg

An 80's Robbe Whooper, wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of these !

img_0692.jpg

Some of the locals playing with a new Ultimate.

img_0664.jpg

img_0659.jpg

img_0660.jpg

img_0602.jpg

img_0425.jpg

img_0502.jpg

Tom Wright's Crane Fly

img_0503.jpg

img_0575.jpg

img_0578.jpg

Rich

David,

I was impressed with the amount of people that turned up despite the weather over the weekend. To think that just 4 years ago it was just 4 of us who decided to have a bit of a meet up can't be that bad.

I know it will never be big ( by the lack of replies and interest towards this thread) but at this present time I believe worldwide the UK has the strongest following for this (in my eyes) interesting subject.

I have 100% respect for people like Tom Wright (and others) who share their experiences with these things for people to try. Only we know just how versatile the model autogyro is and how much fun can be had, I just hope in time that others will find the time to try them.

You will find most 'Gyronuts' are fixed wing fliers who have got bored and diversed a bit.

Taking the Micro Stik,

The main difference/ alteration that has to be taken into consideration is the position of the CG (further forwards than the fix wing) and a greater amount of down thrust which should be in the region of 6 degrees.

That Micro Stik shown has a single servo to the head which is hinged so the rotor disc can be rocked from side to side. This is angled backwards and fixed at roughly 4 degrees, elevator/rudder is used in the same way as its fixed wing counterpart.

Rich

Rich

Anyone taking a close look at many of the models shown in your photographs could not fail to miss the the modelling and engineering skills employed to produce these models .I am also very surprised at the apparent lack of interest from forum members .

I n view of the windy conditions that now seem to blight our summers peeps who love to get out and fly models could well conceder an Auto gyro , as these machines can be capable of flying when most fixed wings are grounded.

Thanks for taking the time to post so many interesting photos and thanks again to you ,Cali ,Chas, and others for organising the event .

Also a special thumbs up to Debs and Chris .

Tom

I have made a couple of videos of last weekend, we thought at the time it was not the best of weekends weather wise. I have just seen a few photos of the field today and I think we were lucky looking back, I feel sorry for the memebers at Winterton as they are a nice bunch of folk.

First video is of Joe's 'Gyro One', this comes as an ARTF type model and is manufactured in Italy. It does go well but with a price tag of £400 its an expensive piece of kit.

The second video is just snips of footage taken from the whole weekend which include a bit of the full size that came in, night flying and balloon popping etc.
Rich