Max Thrust Riot review

gary132

today i am taking delivery of a new max thrust riot which i will build online and review from box to flight video.

should be with me today some time as i have been informed it is en-route.

Edited By gary132 on 17/05/2012 09:02:55

Advert

Ok the riot turned up and within 30 minutes i hasd it assembled ready to run.

i am doing a picture log of how it went together. but for the moment here is a teaser video.

the model has to be test flown yet as i am waiting for a lipo to come as my one was too big to fit the batterie box.

Edited By David Ashby on 18/05/2012 08:15:25

Note the tidyness of the servo tray area and the fact that the wood tray has the servos screwed in giving easy access to them if need be to change one. very easy.

the circuit board is where you plug in for the wing navigation lights and Y lead for ailerons.

the battery tray is under the nose this is held closed with clips and also a small turn clip.

we start assembly by fitting the undercarridge which is held on with four small screws which go into a plastic captive plate.

next at the tail end of the fuse you need to cut this piece of block out to be able to slide the tail plane in .

next you slide the tail plane in lining up the holes as you fit it.

then fit the rudder fin. there are two long screws supplied use these to screw the tail together

tighten to secure but don't overtighten.

the tail wheel fits into the bottom of the rudder as in the image for steering.

Edited By gary132 on 18/05/2012 09:02:51

Edited By gary132 on 18/05/2012 09:06:32

next we take one of the wings and fit the metal rod, insert this until the grommet meets the wing.

then add the piece of hardwood former

now slide the other wing on ensure the light and servo wires fit in there cutout so you don't trap them.

next fit to the top of the wing the two plastic fittings, note they are tapered to fit the wing properly.

in the ends of the wings are nav lights right side green and left side red.

now we fit the rx unit which once all plugged in fits in a nice little cut out area in the fuse, so you can tuck it away safe.

now we take our wing and connect the two light plugs and the servo wires to the Y lead for ailerons.

then take the 3 screws supplied in the kit and screw down the wing.

Edited By gary132 on 18/05/2012 09:07:03

Edited By gary132 on 18/05/2012 09:15:19

Edited By gary132 on 18/05/2012 09:15:44

next we take the prop ( they supply two props and two spinners in the kit )

and we fit this. there is a piece of wood which goes behind the prop, this is the backplate for the spinner. align it so it sits the same as the prop and tighten the prop.

next fit the spinner which has a single screw down the centre.

Ok model is now assembled

we need to fit the battery and check the C of G which is recomended 75 to 90 mm from leading edge of the wing. the control throws for starting out with are set to 10mm movement each way.

I am using a Power-Tech 3cell 11.1v 33c 2250mah

once this arrives i will be doing the test flight and reporting with video

so keep a watch and i will post it up.

I am hoping this will be this weekend coming weather permitting.

hope you have enjoyed .Gary.

any question please contact me and ask away.

Edited By gary132 on 18/05/2012 09:09:46

Edited By gary132 on 18/05/2012 09:10:51

Edited By gary132 on 18/05/2012 09:20:49

Edited By gary132 on 18/05/2012 09:24:57

Edited By gary132 on 18/05/2012 09:25:22

Edited By gary132 on 18/05/2012 09:26:26

Edited By gary132 on 18/05/2012 09:27:08

Also on the front of the model if you remove the prop there are two screws in each side of the cowl.

remove these and the cowl and this gives you complete access to the motor and it's components.

I brought my model from

http://www.activescalemodels.co.uk/max-thrust-riot-pnp---now-in-stock-15770-p.asp

Edited By gary132 on 18/05/2012 09:10:16

Edited By gary132 on 18/05/2012 09:12:25

Edited By gary132 on 18/05/2012 09:13:12

Overal thoughts on the kit.

I like the fact it comes with a spare prop and spinner,

the fact that it is very user friendly in respect of ease of getting to the important stuff.

servos are screwed in not like most foamys where you have to prize out glued in servos.

this also add's piece of mind that a servo is not going to come unglued in flight.

the wing tube is more than efficient for wing strength.

the ease of getting to the motor.

and it's ease of construction. they even supply a screwdriver and spanner to put it together with.

I am looking forward very much to the flight.

Edited By gary132 on 18/05/2012 09:22:36

Yes esc is 40amp brushless and the motor is a

ST3511-KV850 Out runner brushless

wing loading 40.3g/dm2.

weight is 1480g.

length 1130mm.

wingspan 1400mm.

4 servos.

batt required 2200-2400mah 11.1v li-po. 30/33c.

max thrust recomend this battery Power-Tech 2250mah 11.1v 33c

order code ( PT-B-3322503S )

Edited By gary132 on 18/05/2012 16:09:00

will test mine hard i know what you saying about the esc.

i don't wan't to knock the wot 4 in anyway but i know they did suffer with the esc burning out.

i have seen 2 wot 4's develope magic smoke in flight.

Edited By gary132 on 18/05/2012 16:06:59

I can't wait for your review, David. I was going to wait to read it first then consider buying one. But my partner stepped in - and bought me one!!!! She said I kept on about it so much so she caved in. Now I'm going to try the same trick with a new BMW............LOL !!!

Well the day of the flight arrived,
A very nice model to fly indeed with the rates set low this model is the beginners ideal 1st model. But turn the rates up once you have got used to it and it is a different model.
capable of 3d manouvres. capable of prop hanging, rolling circuits, knife edges are easy with minimum rudder input. she is very smooth i must say even with max settings not at all bitey.
a very forgiving model.
i especially liked it's slow flying abiltys, it was a bit like flying a feisler storch.
This model i think would suit both kinds of flyer.
If you want a trainer that will then become your aerobatic model it has it all.
If you want a decent priced electric model capable of 3 flight this is also the one.
I have been flying it all day with 14 flights on it and it has been a very enjoyable day.
I look forward to flying it next tiem i am out.
I hear you ask ok any bad points. yes one if you can call it a bad point. her undercart is a bit springy and she did bounce a couple of times on landing.
if thats the models only bad point that is not bad.

On the 2250 mah lipo you get 10 mins flight time which is ample leaving good power for landing

Edited By David Ashby on 25/05/2012 06:22:54

The design is a matter of opinion I guess but I like the way it looks. I flew mine again yesterday with the recommended lipo, although I'm using a 2650mah, and a better prop (same size and pitch but APC). It was much better than my first attempts. Now I'm getting about 10 minutes flight time and more thrust, and much more fun factor. I'm no model aircraft designer, but I still say it could do with a little more power and speed. I'd prefer to see something like the power that my old Parkzone Extra 300 had. This was very fast and agile, but perhaps that isn't the idea of this "Riot".

Overall, I like it, but I'm still looking for an aerobat that leaves my heart rate a little high after I land!! I'd love to hear what others think about the power of this model.

Gary, just seen your fight review. I totally agree with it being an all-rounder. I'd say it flies as if on rails - very smooth and, yes, it would make a good trainer, or perhaps a very good second model. Your video shows it flying like mine! Just very nice and very aerobatic. But would you call it a riot? I think the marketing has made me expect more than perhaps it actually is. Just my opinion.

Admitted Tony i did try to make the ailerons move further to give me that snappy feel to the 3D stuff, but it just feels smooth no matter what you do with it. which is not a bad thing if you are progressing.

i would like to play with the prop to see what i can do with it.

maybe if i had longer ailerons that come down to the fuse the wash from the prop would give it that bit more snappiness a 3d pilot is looking for.

i ran the 2250mah yesterday all day and was getting 10 minute flights with reserve for landing.

it does 3D but in a very smooth manner.

one thing i did enjoy was flying very slow and using rudder and a touch of ailerons you can slew it around like a stoL as i said like a feisler storch. did you find the rudder very responsive.

i did on mine and had to tone it down.

the rolls i realy enjoy as it rols superb without much input on the elevator.

i guess another thing is to play with the C of G i did mine as it came out of the box and it is between the 75mm & 90mm recomended...i may put it back to the 90mm and see how it behaves.

could be interesting.

Gary.

Hi Gary, I think this is a very nice model, BUT if I had any issue, it's possibly the marketing. "Something new and exciting" "The Riot breaks with tradition..." "....thrilling the most ambitious aerobatic pilot." Really?? And where did the name Riot come from?

I'm not in any way slamming this model - I love it now, but I just don't feel it is what you might think when reading the advert. My Parkzone Extra 300 was a riot! You could really throw that thing around, very nimble, fast and NOT forgiving! For some reason I was expecting the Max Thust Riot to give me more of an adrenaline rush. It's very "accurate" - axial rolls, inverted with almost no down held in etc, which is a good thing.

The Riot is a great all round sport model. Very tame, but also aerobatic if you crank up the throws. I know what you mean when you say smooth no matter what setting you use. I'm going to use it for our club aerobatic comp in July as it does the book without too much trouble. If you have a pace-maker, you have nothing to fear! Finally, I'd love to see a champ aerobatic pilot fly this plane to see what they could do with it.