Max Thrust Riot review

gary132

Advert

Thanks to all - I'm going to get back in to it tonight when I get home from work - hopefully I won't trim too much off. I'm finding my way back in to the hobby against several competing demands but hopefully we will get there.

The Aileron noise is the next issue to investigate.

Colin - it is an Orange but fear not, it's only something I salvaged. I'm about to go for Lemon (?) Stab Plus. I haven't committed yet as I'm not sure on the mounting flexibility. The Riot has a smart recess for the Rx but that means standing the Rx on one end - I'm not sure that is ideal for Rx with Gyros. One set of instructions says it's fine - the other implies it needs to be flat.

Servo arm done - slightly simple question though: how have people fixed/mounted their ESCs in the Riot? It doesn't seem to rest naturally in the nose with either the wires to the motor or the Rx wire preventing it lying nicely on any surface? A small bit of Velcro on wooden cross piece of the battery housing?

We are getting there....Lemon Rx is in - new prop adapter fitted but the threaded part is significantly wider than the original and so the prop didn't fit. Drilled out one by hand but I feels ever so slightly off centre. I guess I need to acquire a stepped reamer it is unfortunately!

The 'catching' aileron is actually the servo...not great for a brand new one so I may try contacting Century next week to see what they say.

It certainly hasn't been a case of plug and fly!

Posted by Nigel Beaney on 28/10/2012 17:52:27:.

Battery: ThunderPower 2700 3S 25C (Same weight as most 2200 packs)

Prop: Standard 12x6

Results: 11.5V, 30.0A, 345W (Standard Results)

Battery: Art-Tech 2500 4S 20C

Prop: APC-E 10x5

Results: 15.3V, 27.9A, 426W

Prop: APC-E 10x6

Results: 15.1V, 32.7A, 493W (Motor Warm after short test)

While I'm on a roll, could someone clarify what changing to a 11x7 prop would do? I've got one lying around so keen to recycle. Will it offer any benefits or be detrimental to to stock motor/esc?

Posted by Nigel Beaney on 28/10/2012 17:52:27:.

Battery: ThunderPower 2700 3S 25C (Same weight as most 2200 packs)

Prop: Standard 12x6

Results: 11.5V, 30.0A, 345W (Standard Results)

Prop: APC-E 10x5

Results: 15.3V, 27.9A, 426W

Prop: APC-E 10x6

Results: 15.1V, 32.7A, 493W (Motor Warm after short test)

While I'm on a roll, could someone clarify what changing to a 11x7 prop would do? I've got one lying around so keen to recycle. Will it offer any benefits or be detrimental to to stock motor/esc?

My guess is that the motor may get very hot after a short test...unless you're using a 3S pack, in which case it should be OK - maybe a little slower acceleration on take off and marginally higher top speed.

Edited By Martin Harris on 05/03/2017 14:20:52

Hope this hasn't already been covered, and my comment is about the Riot XL.

My FIRST landing the plane got a wind sideswipe as it touched down, the left wing tip hit the ground the prop also. I don't think the tail was struck but fuselage came apart in front of the tailplane, breaking completely underneath and above on the right side, the lower centre join between the fus halves just wasn't there - no evidence it had ever been glued in the build. The fus had seemed very flimsy at this point, I had already noticed before I flew it.

Took an hour and half to glue it all together and I drilled through the side foam panels from the back end forwards above and below tail with a 12"x 3mm drill to glue in some similar length carbon rods through the break area which meant they finished 6 inches ahead of the tailplane.

The engine mount also cracked on the left side, had to take it all apart and glue back with Gorilla.

This was such a soft tip-over shows some structural improvements could be in order.

And when I tried to remove the battery the latch snapped off, so had to cut it all away to replace.

The flight was impressive BTW, great climb out and very stable in an estimated 20mph wind.

• 2 weeks later...

Credit where credit is due:

In a previous post I highlighted a 'noise' coming from one of the wing servos. I contacted Century, and within 48hrs a whole new wing was on it's way to me. It would have been quicker but they didn't have one in the blue as per the original. As such I opted for red and so now have a very nice (long may it remain) red, white and blue Thrust Riot ready for it's maiden. Weather didn't allow over the weekend.

Thanks to James at Century and some very impressive customer service.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I finally got back and last night was the night and a cold but nice evening with a 5-10kt breeze dropping off. I met someone at the club, who after I range checked (fine at 30m, no response from the Lemon at 37m?) took it off did one circuit to trim her and then handed across. I'm pleased to say I had half an hour of flying on 2 different packs with no issues fitting in 12 landings and take offs. I'm by no means back to where I was 20yrs ago but it was good to get it up and around and back down in one piece.

First impressions - very stable, I didn't even switch on the stabiliser. Seemed a little underpowered, which is no bad thing at my stage, but throttle was either 75% and up or not doing a great deal. She was better with the new Overlander 35c 3S 2200 lipo. Landings were great and pretty slow although she needed a fair bit of elevator to hold the nose as she slowed down, again no bad thing but it's just getting used to it.

Really enjoyed a successful outing - only down side is knowing I'm 12 landings closer to my next crash! I going to stick with my 3s Lipos but could anyone recommend me a prop that may give me a little more thrust? I'm less worried about speed more about power to climb out etc.

Cheers.