Balsa/covering repair advice sought.

English Bunt.

Hello

i have just sourced a used Wot 4 MK2 with ST51 ringed motor,Graupner prop and futaba servo's fitted.

It needs a few minor repairs one of which is posing a few questions.

The tail wheel has taken a knock in the past so is loose in the rudder where it seats.

My question is..if i cut away the covering to reveal the damaged balsa and fix with epoxy or other balsa based method will i be able to get the covering stuck down again? will it re-heat and stick or will i need to use glue of some sorts.

I dont really want to buy any covering unless i have to so is this repair possible?

Alex

Advert

Hi,

generally speaking in my experience you wont either peel the covering back neat enough nor get it to stick back well enough to do the repair this way.

If I was doing this (and assuming the tailwheel is really knackered in its current housing in the rudder) I'd remove the rudder. Cut out the affected section, splice in a new piece of wood, repair the covering and rehinge with the tailwheel wire in place. It will be worth doing the repair properly in the long run. I have "botched" repairs have a nasty habit of coming back and biting you in a most unfortunate way!

Do you not have/cadge a little bit of spare film - just enough to recover the leading edge of the rudder - only a small piece would be required. Short of that splash out on 1m of white solarfilm - you can keep the rest you don't use and white always comes in handy

BEB

PS If you remove the rudder you will probably need new hinges as well - pick them up when you get the 1m of solarfilm! wink 2

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 19/05/2012 18:00:52

Thanks,BEB

Unfortunately my finances wont allow for some fresh film at the mo.

The damage is allowing the tail wheel to move around 15 degrees either way while the rudder is stationary,the wire/balsa has not actually popped from beneath the film yet so i feel that this repair although not best practice is perfectly do-able if i cut the film with a craft knife to reveal the damaged area for a repair and then some how get the film to re-seat.

I know its a bit 'pikey' but fancy my chances as the damage isnt so bad.

Alex

Edited By English Bunt. on 19/05/2012 18:32:04

You can often repair tears in film covering with allsorts of stuff, magic tape, tissue or nylon doped on, Solartrim etc. Even a bit of a sticker would do. Main thing is to stop the film flapping around and pulling more off.
A tailwheel skid not connected to the rudder will work instead of a steerable wheel if it's easier to fix.
And if you use a rubber band connection to rudder for a steerable wheel it saves this happening again.

Wow! That's good of you Del,Brilliant in fact...a square 34cm x 34cm would recover the whole rudder if need be,with scraps to spare..ill in-box you is there any bits and bobs you need? as i am happy to trade i have boxes of odds and sods you never know.

Thank's for your input Kc,these suggestions are of particular interest for my Pikey repaircheekyas with all things mechanical-prevention is better than cure so the rubber band isolation rings true for me.

Can anybody show me a link to the rubber band method details if theres a post covering this???

Alex

Edited By English Bunt. on 19/05/2012 21:58:07