Old 6 channel radio

Norman A

Advert

How old is old Norman?

There are still plenty of people using 35MHz gear, but if it's been sitting for a few years it would benefit from a service. At the very least the wiring needs checking for corrosion, especially on the negative battery lead.

35MHz can sometinmes be more sensitive to electrical noise in electric powered models, but as people used it for this purpose for years before the advent of 2.4, it can be overcome with carefull suppression measures and wiring layout.

As long as it range checks OK, then it'll be fine.. (aerial down, stand 30 paces away)

I'm still using 35Mhz for most of my planes, with a Speccy DX6 just for BNF UMX's..

Yes, 35Mhz does suffer more interference problems than 2.4, but it's still minimal.. It was in use by everyone for atleast 40yrs before 2.4 came along

Your problem is going to be, getting hold of 35Mhz Rx's, and Crystals, as they're getting harder to find... They're not hens-teeth yet, but certainly getting thin on the ground..

At Longmarston show, I got an ex-demo 8ch 35Mhz Rx from Al's hobbies, for £7, and found a stand with loads of Xtals..

I personally think, 35 is still good (with regards buying spares, etc) for about another 3yrs or so, then the difficulty finding Rx's n Xtals will finally kill it off...

HTH's

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

need to know exaclty what set you have, with sanwa, its not all clear cut, as said look at the wiring, check plugs for corrosion, replace batterys, sadly, even a pair of batterys for the model and tranny will probably cost more than the sets worth, but as you want to use it, not sell it, that is of no conscequence, crystals can be differant, as can pulse widths of servos, the reciever, shortly before 2.4 appeared, underwent a modernisation to enable all servos to be interchangable between differant makes of radio (about 15 years too late though, sanwa missed the boat with servs sales, their servos are quite superb) get back to us with a set name, and more advice will be forthcoming,

Chrisie, i bought my first set of radio from Jim Davis models, £275 over 12 months interest free credit, that was a futaba 27mhz set, that was 33 years ago, i flew it for quite a few years, before 35 came in, i remember the ho-ha when the need for a license was lifted, leaving us at the mercy of CB radio, so 35 has only been around for about--what--25-28 years?

Thanks for the prompt replies guys, it's an old Sanwa VG600 and I think it's about 10 years old. Just powered it up for the first time in years and it seemed to work ok but I will give it a proper charge over the weekend and give it a right good check over. Hopefully I will use it in one of those new fandangle foam electric gliders before too long but that's for another day.

Charged it up for about 20 hours on Saturday night, left it until this evening, did a range check as mentioned earlier by Crisie, left it on for about an hour during which I gave the servos a five minute work out every 15 minutes. The only worrying thing is a little discolouring of the lead from the battery.

its black wired, if you scrape the insulation back, it will be discoloured, if the battery lead is bad, then there is a fair chance the capacity of the cells are way down, then there is thew tranny battery, the leads from the tranny and reciever swicth really need investigation,

Yes, I have heard of and seen black wires on old car electrics . The discolouring is only visible at the battery side at one of the connecto pins but it is only very slight, scraped off with the minimum of fingernail effort but I dare say the colour of the wire may well be black. How long should a fully charged receiver battery be good for ?