Harvard! Tony's 2012 design for the Special Issue

Tony that's a good looking bird, EDF? specs yet, I am sure the AT6 will be popular ( I have two already ) hence the push for a WW, like Barry I find your plans easy to understand and buildable ( if thats a word) I am slowly cutting parts for the 11 foot Lanc should be built in 3-4 years dont know maybe. Don' let my or any opinion on these threads bother you, it is sometimes hard to express wih the written word the intent and tone with which the words are thought body language and facial expression say a lot more than the words sometimes.

Keep em coming......

Advert

Well Tony, I for one appreciate all the effort you put in in supplying these plans, no matter what they are.

I have built the 72 inch Lanc, lysander and Typhoon with the Hurricane nearing completion, and all the built ones fly superb.

Out here in Dubai all we can get is ARTF's, so to build a plane makes a big difference as I am one of the only people out here to do so.

I look forward to the Harvard as they are mainly only available as ARTF which has no appeal to me at all, and will place an order for it when available from you.

Now please. please do a 90/1.20 size Boulton Paul Defiant.

Darryl

wow chil LFH no one is nailing TN to the mast for this, some like myself are just saying its a bit over modeled, thats all, no biggi !! calm down man you will have a coronary!! one of my favs is the Fw 190 and look where that went LOL!!

it was the eds pick the AT6 and thats his call, i have no doubt it will be popular, but being an oddball i like odd things, and there are loads of interesting and very little modeled aircraft that TN could turn his had to, Aichi val dive bomber, fairy Battle, and that little known jap fighter.....zerwhatsitsname... anyway , i am sure it will be great it just bores me to tears the AT6 ... but thats just me, good luck TN!!!

I thank my lucky starts that people like Tony exisit. My feeable attempts at building would be even more rediculous, if we didn't have some skilled individuals like Tony designing easy to build plans of our favourite aeroplanes; even better is that a CNC kit is then cut to reduce the chances of building a very heavy banana looking plane are greatly reduced.

I suspect the AT6 will sell very well; at the end of the day thats what its all about. I doubt many people will try and make money by designing an obscure aircraft that ony 3 people want to build - even if its just me and 2 others!!

AT6 is not my favorite, but who knows i might build one; its seems the winter is going to drag on into the next one, so plenty of tme for building. I must say though, the great think about the announcement of this plan is the slipped announcement about the 2 vulcan kits. Now, if there not overpriced, then these will surely sell.

Good one Tony. PS. A BP Defient or some WW2 (or even early jet) FAA fighter seems to be wantedwink

thanks guys or all you comment...kind ones esepecially.........I do listen to all points of view and what ever they are, I will always take them on-board as it can only improve the design choice and the quallity of my plan.......i havent reached a point yet when i am completely happy with a plan but hey, I am a perfectionish who will never be happy I guess.

So many designs to do and sooooooooo little time to do them all

Barry, the vulcans will be in addition to Harvard..

I agree with Lee that as far as I'm aware, no-one has any problems with Tony's designs and I'm sure that the majority of builders amongst us have taken advantage of his prolific design skills at one time or another - and long may they continue!

As one who posed a question over the choice of model, it was because Tony didn't appear to have a great deal of enthusiasm about the particular subject and I was hoping for some editorial response as to why the Harvard was chosen.

Martin,

Graham and David as editors do understand the market and which subjects are popular....I think they made the decision on the way back from Nuremberg so I guess they had been doing a little research out there.

I think of next year, it's a toss-up between the runners up in 2011 and they were a DH98 or a Whirlwind...either way i think Barry may get his wish soon. Persistance maybe dose pay off

I was at Caernarfon Airport, visiting the museum on holiday, when I saw this..

I didn't know what it was at the time, but it's an AT6, which did touch n go's for an hour..

The 40seconds of pixel, before it get close, is worth the wait.. Soz for my waffling, I was excited.. !!

It was so deafening, it hurt.... ACE..

Now hopefully everyone will appreciate, and want one...

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 12/06/2012 12:31:52

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 12/06/2012 12:35:45

Still not very excited here, I'm afraid. I know those prop tips kick out a healthy racket but it still looks an ungainly lump to me - although beauty is always in the eye of the beholder so I accept that opinions will vary. Being inside it might be a very different matter of course!

Was it a long hour dont know?

Edited By Martin Harris on 12/06/2012 12:45:40

• 1 month later...
Posted by kenking on 16/06/2012 23:22:28:
The curvature of the fuselage side suggests to me that there may be a radial up front. That's as far as I've got; not very impressive was it ?

The Harvard/AT-6 is a 'Marmite' sort of aircraft, love it or hate it.

I love 'em!

I am happy to see any new balsa "kits" coming on the market, its the eye watering premium that traditional builders have to pay that upsets me.

I loved last years FW190 but when I added up the build cost of the wood pack, additional wood, plastic parts,and retracts I winced.

Garbo. the cheapest way is to just get the necasary items, plan and vac formed parts, then start cutting, I am not a great lover of Harvard/ Texan or Wirraways..... but I will build this one,as a Wirraway, at 66" it is a good size, after finishing the Typhoon from the same stable.

Hurry up Tony wink a builder is awaiting

Barry

Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 11/06/2012 23:11:03:

Martin,

Graham and David as editors do understand the market and which subjects are popular....I think they made the decision on the way back from Nuremberg so I guess they had been doing a little research out there.

I think of next year, it's a toss-up between the runners up in 2011 and they were a DH98 or a Whirlwind...either way i think Barry may get his wish soon. Persistance maybe dose pay off

Did I mention that I was plugging for a Whirlwind?devil

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Although I will not build the TN Harvard (going for the 62.5" span Spitty when I get round to it) I must admit, after seeing the air piccie, she looks fantastic! I like the Harvard, and this is a fine example. I can guarantee it flies a treat like the rest of TN's designs. I'll keep the plan, maybe a future project! Can't wait for the mag!

Well done TN!

CS

PS. TN, how about an EDF, around 60" span Concorde for your jet range?! I think it would fit nicely alongside the Vampire and the two Vulcans coming out! It would certainly be a challenge...