Harvard! Tony's 2012 design for the Special Issue

Advert

Can't wait looks to me like it'll be a ideal low winger trainer to build..that pic looks amaizing ..cant wait ...getting exited allready need to buy an engine to suit..pos buy the cnc pack too. I fancy a red and black racer look to mine.I was tempted to buy an artf version but i'd like to build one for myself....p.s anybody selling a 3 channel 35mhz reciever for my newley bought glider to somebody in scotland cheap ...also i'd like to see a plan of a hughes racer or a hellcat in rcm&e ....first post...

Posted by Tartan81 on 31/07/2012 23:42:21:

Can't wait looks to me like it'll be a ideal low winger trainer to build..that pic looks amaizing

Hello and welcome from me also.

Dave's right, the first trainer should be a high wing thing like this, but you may have gone through this stage already.

After that, the ideal first low winger ought to be something like this,

SLEC Funfly

a SLEC Funfly (although technically a mid wing) which is a kit, or an Acro Wot, which is now avaliable as a kit or an ARTF.

Hope that helps!

CS

I thought the colour scheme would get thumbs up.......it was the only one that did it for me. As you can see from the blue background, it was beautiful day with not a cloud in the sky......going to look cracking in the mag...

I used easycoat not solar film as the yellow has a little more pigment to it....not that difficult a covering job; just covered all in yellow first, added the black film strips, bit of grey profilm on the top nose, silver moving surfaces and decal made by Lee at pyramid models...and there yer have it

Tony,

It looks very nice, particularly in that colour scheme. I have always liked the Harvard, but don't like ARTFs, so will certainly build one. As luck would have it, I can use the engine, retracts, and radio from a totally rubbish , though popular, kit Spitfire that I hardly ever fly.

A thought for another design. How about the Boulton Paul Defiant? The real aircraft was totally useless, but it would make an interesting and 'different' model. A real change from all the usual suspects at the flying field.

Posted by Mark Powell 2 on 07/08/2012 08:45:52:

A thought for another design. How about the Boulton Paul Defiant? The real aircraft was totally useless, but it would make an interesting and 'different' model. A real change from all the usual suspects at the flying field.

I have been asking Tony for a BP defiant for years, but nothing yet.

That and a ME 109 to go with the Tiffy and Hurricane would be superb.

Darryl

Edited By Djay on 07/08/2012 10:11:12

Wish it was that easy Darryl to just pull a design out of the hat

touble is I'm too fussy of the design quality and the model has to be right

my memory goes back to the time when I bout kits and built from plan only to be disappointed with the design....just can't let that happen with mine....I'll put it on the to do list

Ill put it on the todo

• 4 weeks later...

Another belter Tony. top job

I've not been on the forums for ages as the temptation to start another build is too stong, but my friend and I thought we'd have a look at building your Lysander after our current BT projects come to an end. Now i've gone and found this little beauty and i really want one! Having built a spitty of yours, which I really enjoyed building and flying, I'm extremely tempted. Looking forward to the special Mag. I could use the up and coming birth of my son as an excuse to commission the new build

Thanks again TN. Iain B

Wonderful news about your pending arrival Iain! Best wishes to you and your other half. And when it's your turn for the feed and nappy change what better excuse to disappear into your shed. "But this is in celebration of his birth darling." blushlaugh

Personally can't afford to build TN's Harvard, but I shall put together an electric 40 incher at some time so I can disappear into my shed saying " But it's in celebration of Iain's new little boy darling."blushlaugh

T.N's T6 is next on my list, have to finish a Flair Bristol F2b first due space limitations ( seams me to take ages to complete the wings ).

This time the approach has been inverted, have a Laser 120 NIB sitting arround waiting for it's ideal work place, think it's found ! Just hope it's not to heavy and that Tony's design will manage the little power surplus....

I have a H9 AT-6 that's somewhere around 68", an RCV91CD is just adequate for that. However, it does balance without any lead up front. I can't imagine Tony's design will be that far from the H9 example so you may need to put the radio and batteries well back. One point that may be useful is that I found the TopFlite AT-6 canopy is a good replacement for a 65-70" size range model and moderately priced.

Thanks for your advise, Bob. Guess it would be enough if rx battery is placed somwhere behind the trailing edge, or just make the tail cone "a little stronger". In worst case there is also an option to install a Saito 91,82 or laser 80, but would love the grunt of the 1.20 and I hate to dismantle planes in flying condition....

Nice to see the Harvard has a few fans out there.....Although the span is 66" , the model is quite compact and the prototype was built around 8lbs in weight. The 91 4-stroke I used overpowered the model so a low idle on the engine was really necessary....a 65 stroke will be sufficient but nose weight will be needed. If all you have is a 90 then make sure the engines has a reliable low idle!!!

For those interest, I have a few kits ready to go (which were destine for the Hop Farm) so anyone wish to jump the gun on the special release, please go to my web site.......