2 Cell Lipo's v 7 cell Nimh pack...

David Martin 2

Can anyone elighten me as to the performance difference on FP micros (like the Piccolo/Hummingbird etc) of swapping the normal 7 cell 8.4v Nimh pack for a 2 cell Lipo..?

I was wondering whether the lower average output voltage of the Lipo pack would fly the model ok for an appreciable time..? They are lighter.

Some time back, Perkins offered an upgrade Li-ion 10.8v pack as an alternative but they didn't seem to catch on. 3 cell Lipo packs (11.1v) burn out tail motors very quickly and stress the electronics, but what about 2 cells...?

Advert

Thanks Brian, I was asked to trim someones E-Sky FP heli out for them the other day and that flew very well on the supplied 2 cell 1000mah Lipos. Very similar design to the Piccolo and Hummingbird FP range.

We did find though that it had to be positioned a lot further forward than the Nimh packs to keep the c of g right, (being a lot lighter). I don't know whether I'd get the Hughes canopy back on my Piccolo without needing to carry extra ballast to balance with the Lipo seated where the Nimh pack goes.

I'll have a go.

Cheers.

BoomBoom very quick..

When mounting my lipo i had it at 90 degrees so the connectors were pointing out the side that way i  could get it just that little bit closer the front of the model.

As for over discharging i timed a flight and stoped the clock as soon as i detect a drop in power, i then checked how much charge went back in to the pack, I then tweeked the length of flights to i was within the 30% lipo rule  

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice chaps, all taken on board.

Still not dipped into the tin but these look just the ticket....

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/lipo-battery-cell-lipo-battery-c-1_113.html?osCsid=7a96cc0fc2e2da0f3145ae22988b97bc

Maybe the 1000mah one as a tester.....or the 800.....

Brian, I was thinking of turning the pack sideways as well, may fit in the Hughes body..

These chargers are being used by a mate of mine and has had no trouble at all...

http://www.rcmdirect.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=101_78

They are similar to the one that comes with the Twister CP heli, except these do 2 or 3 cell lipos at a constant rate of about 800mah from a 12v source. Auto cut off and balancer incorporated as well for £10.99 if ordered on their own or £7 if ordered with an RCMDIRECT lipo.

I charged the supplied Twister 3s lipos on mine about 60 times each until they faded a bit. Probably due to me stretching one or two flights a little longer than I should have, but I've had no issues with them at all.

My mate charges 1800 and 2100mah packs on one and just has to wait a bit longer.