2013 Mass Build - general chat thread

I've claimed half the dining room table until completion. Mrs B already isn't best pleased by the models hanging off half the curtain rails in the house, but she's very tolerant and one more (probably) wont do any harm and may help prioritise the long promised new shed/hanger over frivolous expenses like new curtains (I've tried to explain that wings will do the job), or kitchen floor.

Anyway, plan arrived yesterday and I spent a productive half hour covering it with sticky back plastic (resistant to cyano, random tears and beer/wine). Also took a trip to the local http://www.thehobbybox.co.uk to try and get an Airfix Tucano, unfortunately this isn't out yet but may be available within the next few months.

Now spending the evening watching YouTube footage of Shorts Tucanos and contemplating the plan.

Advert

Too right BEB, spent the first half entertaining in laws so now enjoying some R&R.

Thanks Nigel. I understand that the airfix is between runs, and although the 2012 livery, (which. I think will look great on a model) is advertised, it hasn't actually been released yet. I like the idea of having something solid to look at during the build so will keep searching.

Edited By Steven Buckingham on 18/11/2012 00:01:35

Lucas I'm fairly certain the stripes etc are made using solatrim after the solafilm heat shrink covering has been applied the roundels and other markings are fairly generic and avilable from several places however I think having a word with Tim @ modelmarkings will produce good results. he has mentioned producing a markings decal set for this model fairly soon.

Phil

Pyramid models seem to co a couple of sets of vinyl decals with an option for 45" wingspan at £25.04 plus delivery

Set 1

Set 2

Also RedBull decal set

Also interested to see if Tim @ modelmarkings comes up with anything. I fancy having the display team design that I have changed my Avatar to

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 21/11/2012 14:40:07

Just a quick update on a couple of matters:

1. The "official" (as far as anything is official with a Mass Build!) start date will be 1st Jan 2013.

2. The prototype woodkit has arrived for inspection - its being given the "once over" - and production versions should be available from MHS very soon - certainly in time for Christmas!

BEB

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 21/11/2012 14:35:22:

Pyramid models seem to co a couple of sets of vinyl decals with an option for 45" wingspan at £25.04 plus delivery

Set 1

Set 2

Also RedBull decal set

Interesting to note they don't appear to include the stylised toucan head for the fin.

I'm struggling to find one, I could've sworn I scanned the west wings decal set when I built my toucan but can't find that in my archives either.

If anyone has the toucan head as a Jpeg or bmp I would be happy to send a waterslide or vinyl copy back to fit the tail fin

Good news on the wood pack! I'm holding on to see how competitively priced it is before placing an order with SLEC

Phil

Posted by Steve Cornell on 17/11/2012 16:21:45:

Just want to say good luck to all those taking part in the Mass Build, I won't be as the Tucano is not for me and I have just started my winter project which is the Harvard but I hope to be at Greenacres to blacken my nose in 2013!

Have fun all and a great Winter build!

I've actually had a bit of a re-think on this; I've never taken part in a Mass Build before, sounds like it could be a lot of fun. The only thing is I'd like to go as near as accurate as possible and would like to look into retracts, or is it a case of everyone has to follow the plan precisely, no modding?

Edited By Steve Cornell on 26/11/2012 20:42:00

Edited By Steve Cornell on 26/11/2012 20:42:55