2013 Mass Build - general chat thread

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 15/04/2013 23:13:03:

d

Don`t know about the quality, but Perkins do plastic three bladers which I have used. They may do 45mm. 6mm to 4 or 3mm adaptors are available from HobbyKing for ali spinners if you can wait that long.

Thanks Martin I'm sure I searched HK must look harder next time lol as for the JP spinners not seen them either yet will go look now

Phil

Advert

Posted by Mike Hardy on 16/04/2013 20:14:50:

Hi Trevor, I placed the cloth on to the balsa then brushed through with PolyC. Drying time was about 1/2 hour but I left it 8 hours before testing. I will try again, I note the PolyC is quite thick, should I thin it down with water?.

Mike.

Mike, my Poly c is a bit like the consistency of single cream, I have never diluted it. I checked my tin of interior varnish - it is very similar in consistency - actually it was a B&Q product not Wickes. I'd suggest that you don't thin it down. Does it feel sticky when you put it on?

Trevor

Thanks Trevor, It is a bit sticky. Going to try again, just ordered some sanding sealer which I will thin down 50/50. Come to think of it I could use none shrinking dope as it is just waterproofing the balsa surface?

Another question: using the prop driver attachment - The motor shaft is protruding the other end - cut it off or leave on? is it hardened? so use a cutting disk in the Dremel?

Mike.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 16/04/2013 22:17:04:

Phil, I got my plastic spinners from Inwood but this was some time ago. I would expect that Perkins do an on line catalogue. Sometimes you can get blank spinners which you can (try to) cut yourself. Cannot remember where the listing on HK was and a shame that they seem to have got rid of the search facility.

Hi Martin I did eventually find what I wanted from HK The search function by the way is now right at the top of every page just under the "Home" "Support" Forum" "Contact" and "About us" tabs

Thanks Phil

I used a pair of copper plumbing 90 degree pipe joints obtained from "wikinsons" for about £0.80p for my exhausts. They were then primed and painted various dry-brushed metal colours using acrylic paint. finaly, correct sized hole formed in fuselage then I used silicone sealant to secure. not scale in shape or final postion, but they do the job. They even provide a little bit of ventilation to keep esc cool.

Motor query, I plan to use the Turnigy SK3 3542 1250Kv mounted via Phil's F1A. The SK3 series motor body length is 36mm, F1A is designed around the NTM series which has a body length of 44mm. F1A will not move forward enough to accommodate the SK3 series. Mount the SK3 series motor on standoffs (10mm) so F1A is in the same position? or what do you guys suggest?

Mike.

Posted by Mike Hardy on 18/04/2013 16:28:24:

Motor query, I plan to use the Turnigy SK3 3542 1250Kv mounted via Phil's F1A. The SK3 series motor body length is 36mm, F1A is designed around the NTM series which has a body length of 44mm. F1A will not move forward enough to accommodate the SK3 series. Mount the SK3 series motor on standoffs (10mm) so F1A is in the same position? or what do you guys suggest?

Mike.

Hi Mike I think F1a should move forward with some adjustment to sizes however with out checking this on the cad I can't be sure that its 100% possible. However if you use long bolts to create a stand off it should be absolutley fine

Just a quick note for martin thanks for the pointers for spinners I've ordered both a 2 and a 3 blade just in case 

3 Blade spinner

2 Blade Spinner

Phil

Edited By Phil Winks on 18/04/2013 18:29:40

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 18/04/2013 21:28:23:

Excuse my ignorance, but does anyone know where the `AVTUR` stickers go on ZF446?

Find out where the fuel fillers are martin "avtur" is aviation turbine fuel so best guess is the fuel filler points prob inboard ends of the wiing on top somewhere

Phil

Luckily the oleos had a couple of M2 tapped holes. The covers are just two pieces of 1/32 ply laminated.

Have done this to the i.c. version as well using thin GRP laminated between two ply parts, but this was rather more difficult because I had to use the leg fixing screws to mount them. Hope to try these in the air again tomorrow.

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 15/04/2013 22:22:15:

It does indeed work well, and guess what? I've never taken the wing off!

Chris, I was amazed at how strong the dowels felt when let in by about 1/2 of their dia. and just expoxied in. I never thought they would be that sturdy. I was tempted to leave them as they were, but I had this short length of glass cloth left over from my fun fighter, and I'm a nervous type!

r.

Flew them both again this weekend and after mixing in a whopping 16% opposite aileron to rudder the 44" will now knife edge quite well.

Problems with my o/d 62". I tried a reversal turn and it did a spectacular high speed stall despite being very smooth with the elevator. I have now removed most of the weight from the rear as the elevator trim was `hunting`, i.e. I could not find a happy setting, suggesting a rearward cg. This frightened me to death. I could not try it again today because I suspect a small fuel pipe leak since the YS did not have much tank pressure on landing. Easily sorted and hope to fly again soon.

Martin. Interesting stuff. You're probably right about the cg being too far back. I've finished mine off and fixing the battery postion to get the cg right made me think that the balance point shown on the plan is relatively far back compared to normally accepted and maybe this is another feature of the flat plate wing? Perhaps if the wing was built up as on your 62" version, the cg would need to go forward a bit. Did tou use this position on your larger model?

Just need to set up rhe right prop size and I'm ready to go. Hopefully I can get up the airfield soon.