Wot 4 motor help

Robert Brown 6

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Reason for joining is I need a little help, I recently purchaSed a wot 4 foam e, everything went well until I took my of of it in the air. So I bought a artf kit thinking I already had servos and motor. So I ordered it and it was the balsa version, I'm happy about this but can i use the motor from the foam e on the balsa version? Also the motor mount of the foam e is about 20mm away from the mounting plate where the recommended motor should sit, would this help with the cg? Thanx in advance

Advert

Google finds me the recommended motors for the foam e and the regular e (3536 820kv and KMS 2820/05 respectively), but I can't find the spec of the 820kv version of the 3536, nor the weight of the foam e model frown

Model sizes are almost identical, so I expect the foam e will be lighter than the balsa one, in which case its power requirement will be less, and the 3536 motor might not be enough for the balsa version.

In the absence of a reply from someone who has all the facts, it might be worth giving Ripmax a call to see what they say.

You have to be careful about motor descriptions. I think the KMS 2820/05 has an external size of about 3548 which I suspect is 12mm longer than the 3535. It will also be heavier which is important with the Wot 4 E because I found that even at the revised C of G, I had to add nose weight..

Quick update, I've fitted the foam e motor with the mount to my plane, measured 88m from the leading edge of the bottom face of my wing with a tri square. I put a indented line marking the two points, I used my two nails to balance the plane and it was perfect. Now this is only my second plane, have I done this right, I've got a 2500 mah battery and have added no weight. Could the extra length on the motor mount be just perfect. Any advice much appreciated

hello RB6...wellcome to the forum...if possible i would have someone with a bit experience to give your new wot the once over to save you some grief kulou and if possible.... say join a club and get it tried out etc.....it may save you some bruised ego and a lot of dosh....

ken anderson ne.1 ...bruised ego dept...

Sorry about the long link iv read through and no what to do in future. Quick update, I couldn't wait till Sunday so I went out and had my first flight, everything went well, the plane was perfectly balanced after the trimming. It did seem a little under powered compared to the foam e and the stall was a little longer. And while it was in the air one of the screws came out of the landing gear screws so my wheels were facing the wrong way, and what would of been a perfect landing ended up snapping my motor shaft. Should I go for the recommended motor or their something better? Any advice is appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robert, I'm new to the forum and electric flying, with a 16 year break since I held a Tx. I went for the Wot 4-e ARTF balsa version, old habits die hard! Followed recomended rout with a 2820/05 motor but took the shops advise going up an inch on prop diamiter to 12x6. The CG is an issue to some??? on the balsa Wot 4, my instuctions say 70mm from the LE, have read that some set it as far back as 100mm!!! I went middle for diddle at 90mm.

First flights were good, half to two thirds power seemed good in general, full throtall gave 'vertical' performance. For my style of flying, I reduced the alieron throw by hooking onto the third hole out on the horn, reduces the amout of movement and slows (smoothes) the respons, as I say, thats my style, I have kept the elevator and rudder as recomended.

The above was all with a 3S 2200ah 11.1v Lipo battery. I have a 14.8v 4s 2685ah battery that weighs 261gs, this battery puts the CG as indicated above so I do carry a couple of ozs of nose balast with the lighter batteries . . . Looking forward to trying the extra power of the 14.8v battery, my hooligan side kicking in . . . and I am retireddevil . . . call me 'Earl' . . . wink

CJS