Advice needed on a suitable hack!

Broken Prop

I need to get a hack to replace my ageing Prangster. You know the sort of thing:

40 size. Cheap as chips.Suitable for throwing into the back of the car at short notice. Pretty 'ding' proof and probably very ugly.

I really would prefer to build it although I could be persuaded into the dark world of ARTF's.

Pete

There are two builds I can recommend, Peter. The first is Peter Miller's Harlequin, the free plan from the March issue. Very cheap and quick to build, probably way overpowered on a .40 (mine has a .52 FS, and is off the ground before the throttle is half open), and very nimble. The other is very similar, slightly bigger and heavier, but just as much fun - the good ol' Maricardo.

Everybody's going to come along and suggest a wot 4, happens every time, but im getting in first lol, if your going to go for an ARTF I suggest one of the air series from Black Horse, super air, speed air travel air etc, as you say, 40 size, ?65 ARTF with good accessories and can perform anything you can throw at it

Wow, that was quick! Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have a Wot 4 already but was looking for something a bit more basic.

I like the look of the Funfly and as it happens I will be at Wings and Wheels this weekend. Looks like I may be spending even more money in the SLEC tent!

What a great forum this is. Many thanks again for the suggestions.

Pete

G'day Peter, cheep as chips, 100 dollar Aussie is cheap for ArF, but, low wing or high wing kits won't come in that cheap, try bashing some balsa yourself from a free plan, big isn't always best or the most fun, also the expensive ( and swappable) parts are the electronics and engine. I bash, I crash, Leave with tail beetween legs, but man am i havin fun.

Peter, I really would recommend the Funfly (hence the reason I am suggesting it twice!). I've had 7 flights now, and I have loved all of them. It's very strong, I had a small prang with a deadstick, bounced off the road and into a ditch. Damage? Small hole in covering on the wing, slightly bent undercarriage, a 5 minute fix. It's dead easy to fly, it does glide well it was just inexperience on my part that caused the misplaced landing, and it is very aerobatic. Here's a part built picture.

Part Built

It is lovely. Galaxy Magician or Scorpion is also a good choice, but I would have to recommend this.

CS

P.S. I like your cat!

Well, I've taken the plunge and phoned SLEC. In suitably reverential tones I ordered a Fun Fly for me to pick up at Wings and Wheels.

Now, I am relying on you guys to be honest and not to impersonate me on Saturday. I would be a bit miffed to find that someone had sneaked it out from under my nose. cheeky

Thanks for your time and trouble guys. Some interesting planes have been put forward, which demonstrate the breadth of our wonderful hobby. I will probably build them all in due course!!!!!

Happy Pete

PS Just noticed ConcordeSpeed's reference to my little cat. Her name was Chloe and she was utterly devoted me, so much so that she followed me everywhere and insisted on sitting beside me on my desk as I worked. The photo was taken there with her lying on her tuffit. A wonderful companion and sadly missed.......

Edited By Peter Ward on 21/06/2012 15:17:31

My hack is a profile foamie, so not much use for your .40..!!!

But I answered for a different reason..

Hate to go totally off topic, but....

P.P.S, I thought you'd nicked my cat pic there..!!

My beloved Vince, who I lost 2yrs ago..

01 Vince1

We loved each other for 18yrs...

02 Vince 2

Followed by Inky soon after...

03 Inky 01

On Patrol in the woods, in his bullet proof N.A.T.O Vest...

04 Inky 1st walk - on log1

And just recently joined by 'Mini-Me' Cosmo, who's 8wks old now..

05 2yr old Inky n 8 wk old Cosmo

Fascinated by the ducks outside...

06 Cosmo 8 wks watching ducks

07 Cosmo 6 wks 01

Mad-Cat-Woman mode OFF...

Soz.. I'll get my coat..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 21/06/2012 15:55:47

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 21/06/2012 15:57:46

Somehow I've managed to turn a conversation about Aeroplanes to one about cats! I do like cats!

Anyway, back to planes. Glad you chose the Funfly, I love my one so I expect you will have great fun with yours. Please do a build log on it, there isn't one on this website and I'd like to see how you get on.

Have fun when you get it, it's a great plane.

CS

Another great aircraft kit is the Top Flite Contender 60.

Again, an old design like the bullet and I acknowledge probably a bit more difficult to get in the UK. But, It flys like a dream, can land REALLY slowly with that centre flap and is very different from the usual WOT4 crowd. Plusis a trike landinf gear makes ground handling super easy.

Although its a '60' that was for the 60's of the late 60s/early 70s. It will fly well on a 46 - i fitted a 52 and it was endlessly aerobatic.

Here's mine

Hi CS

Yes I did manage to pick up the FunFly at Wings and Wheels. After fighting my way up to the counter (lots of trading going on in the SLEC tent) I tentatively asked for my kit. No need to have worried about availability, there was a great pile of the things behind the counter!

Needless to say, as soon as I got back to the shed I opened the box to have a peek at the goodies. I have to say that I am quite impressed so far. Lots of laser cut parts using different grades of balsa according to the use of the part in the airframe. A comprehensive hardware pack including tank with fuelling dot and packing foam, good quality control horns, steel clevises and snakes for the rear controls. Engine mounting for a two stroke. Pre-bent undercarriage but strangely, no wheels. Not a problem as I have lots of them salvaged from less fortunate models. blush

No instructions as such but lots of build pictures in the manual and an extensive parts list so that you can do the naming of the parts before building. (I always like that bit, it must be the nerd in me.....). A plan is provided for the wing with a sheet of clear polythene to use as an overlay and to prevent the glue from adhering to the paper. Nice touch, I thought.

Steve Hargreaves mentioned doing a build blog, which I will try to do in due course. I am part way through a PB Skydancer at present, so I need to finish that first.

I think I'm going to enjoy this one!

Pete

I think you will enjoy it too! It is a nice kit, fits together nicely. If flying from a grass strip, I would reccomend pretty big wheels. Mine has pretty big ones, (i'll find out the size later if you want) and they are perfect, even taxies well!

I would love to see a build log, no one else has done one on here. What engine are you using? Mine has an MDS 38 two stroke, flies brilliantly on that.

CS