Advice needed on a suitable hack!

Broken Prop

Thanks CS. Wheel size would be useful as I too fly off a grass strip. As to the engine, I am not sure at present but an OS 46AX would be nice. I have one of those in my Wot 4 and it is a lovely engine.

To the wider world: what would you use (or are using) please?

Pete

To the wider world: what would you use (or are using) please?

Pete

Err, if you mean engine wise I have a MDS 38 two stroke. A 46 is quite large, but it can be done. I would suggest a 40 or 38, simply because mine flies brilliantly on the 38. The plane is very light so it does not need ballistic power. I'll get the wheel size when I get home.

CS

I enjoyed 7 years of very reliable service from an SC40 that took to the air in three different airframes ovewr the years - a power conversion of a Flair Heron glider, a V-Mar Stinger, and most recently, a Black Horse Twister. The Twister was, at the time, the club's preferred hack. Most of the guys ran SC46s in them and whilst mine wouldn't keep up vertically it was fast enough for sport and mild aerobatic flying. The airframe eventually suffered one too many hard arrivals and was retired and the motor (still running reliably) has moved on to another happy flyer. I was only tempted away from using the SC40 in another Twister to try the convenience and instant gratification of the cleaner electric wooden Wot4. Whilst the Wot4 is most capable, I still miss my old SC40 and the Twister.

Enjoy your FunFly, Pete, and don't be afraid to try an SC40 in it .

Cats,

Just spotted this blog so I have added a picture of Sammy our latest mog who tries to boss badgers and foxes around in our garden.

Last week my son Chris heard from a former school friend that her cat had been taken by a fox. Her dad let the cat out at 7.00AM one morning and only minutes later he saw a fox with the cat in it's jaws. Apparently six other cats from the same road have also been taken. The road runs along the same wooded area that borders our garden. Chris has just informed me that due to a petition all foxes in the vicinity of the woods are to be shot. This is a bit of a shame as I have been treating some of the foxes for mange and have been feeding them. The good news is that a badger that has been hand-feeding for about 5 years has returned after going missing for several months. However badgers are not welcome in farming communities and I have been asked not to mention them at my brother-in-law's place on Dartmoor.

Of course this has nothing to do with planes but then neither is the weather at present it's raining again!

MJE006.jpg

Pete,

He is a big cat we acquired from the Cat Protection League. They had trouble to get him fostered as he thinks it's fun to bite his 'owners'. He is a very intelligent cat although my wife thinks his behaviour is more like a dog. As you can see we had to buy him the largest scratching post from the pet shop and in a short while he bit through the outer string covering. Over the last few weeks he has caught rats,mice and a couple of moles plus a Robin he brought in the house for a 'flyaround', and a baby Thrush unharmed that I had to take to the animal rescue centre. He tends to bash badgers on their noses despite them taking little notice of him. He just stands his ground with foxes. I have photos of his confrontations with badgers.

Mike

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 03/07/2012 15:14:37

Back to the funfly.

Peter, I built one of these last year, really as a way at having a go at building something before I took on a more complicated project.

A couple of comments. You will find some discrepancies between the Photo sheet and the written instructions. Don't ask me what they were, I can't remember, but a bit common-sense and you will be OK.

The only difference in mine was a rounded cockpit as I think the wedge thing looks awful!

Mine had an Irvine 40 which in my opinion is too heavy, and required the addition of some lead to the tail. Remember that in lots of model engine ranges, a 46 is a bored out 40 and actually lighter than a 40. I think if I were building another one I would look for a 35-39 engine rather than a 40. I'd probably go for a Jen 37 or something like that.

If I could find myself or blag something like an old Wot 4 ARTF undercarriage, I think it would be inclined to use that rather than the spingy metal thing, which you will forever be bending back into shape. 

One other thing I would mention. I'm used to flying everything with expo on my controls, and I would be inclined to not put any on the ailerons of this. It was great once I got rid of the expo!

Here is mine, which went on ebay to pay for a Yak 54. I have another hack which having read the thread I'm ashamed to mention. Its a *** 4!

Edited By GrahamC on 03/07/2012 16:45:48

Yep, sounds pretty similar to my build Graham. I fly mine with no Expo all round, it does not seem to need it. For the next flight whenever this weather improves I also have increased aileron response.

I have to admit, I love the little cockpit 'wedge'! I think it gives the plane it's character. Mine also has some more character now with a Stig sticker on one wing due to the covering repair after the last flight!

CS

Thanks for the responses guys, cats and all!

Also thanks for the pointer about discrepancies between the photos and the instructions, I'll keep a look out for them and it will be great fun correcting the 'errors'. I ought to explain that I am an engineer and so I accept that designs are never set in stone, but constantly evolve. I love the design process............sad but true.

Garham C, nice artwork! In respect of the undercart, I have one left over from my late lamented Wot Trainer (I never throw anything away) which is very similar to the Wot 4 underpinnings. I'll try it out for size and thanks for the tip.

I might have a go at forming a canopy using the old pop bottle technique. I think that the canopy shape might be improved by a more rounded form . (Sorry CS, its all a matter of individual taste and I don't have any!)

wink

Pete

I like the appearance of the Twister but I suppose the only 'hack' I have is the Weston Cougar. It's very popular at our club where we have Weston reps as members. It is capable of just about anything including prop hanging I think but can be trimmed to fly as a trainer. My Cougar cost me £80 second hand and is fitted with an Enya 35. I have not used it much but did promise myself I would fly it this year and limit flying the 'old clangers' I have. However the current weather has meant I have only had three trips to the club this year and very little flying.

MJE

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 04/07/2012 10:49:30