expensive smoke

John  Tee

Hi. Tonight I had to adjust the servo centres on a new electric glider and removed the prop as advised elsewhere and was busy adjusting the neutrals when the ESC started smoking and the foam fus started to melt. One u/s ESC. I got the battery disconnected quickly before too much damage. I can only assume (not being a regular electric flyer) that this happened because for extra safety I also disconnected the motor wires as I was only working on the servos. Luckily it was only a cheapy ESC (Emax 18Amp) but a lesson learnt.

John

Advert

Hi again,

I only assumed due to lack of knowledge that it was because I had disconnected the motor wires to make access easier, as the motor is above the wing and the leads relatively short. I don't think the cables shorted but it is possible. I had added extra coloured heat shink tube to 2 of the cables as they were all black and you have to disconnect them to take off the wing, to be sure the motor rotated the right way next time. They were tucked down in the fus so may have touched. It looks a very cheap and cheerful ESC andf one of the motor wires actually came off when it started smoking. I have put it down to a new experience and replace it with a spare Eflight ESC I had.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have a lot to learn about electric flight and won't give up on I/C for the forseeable future. 40 years I/C - 3 years electrics.

John

Edited By John Tee on 22/06/2012 14:07:00