12v lipo for engine starter.

Advert

I've used a single 3 cell 2200 lipo to operate a starter for a .61 size glow motor.

It started it about 6 times with no problem and still had life left in it, bearing in mind this motor is a cracker to start.

Phil

Edited By Big Phil on 22/06/2012 18:28:19

Even a fairly modest battery will suffice. Most people use 12v gelcells to start their engines and I find that they tend to get rather sulky and drop their voltages if they are asked to give more than about 10A. Even the most basic lipo of 1000mAH will give that without much complaining. Given the price of 2200maH 3 cell batteries I'd use on of those. I'd just tie-wrap it on the other side of the starter motor to where your palm sits.

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 24/06/2012 09:21:44:

OBF I think you have found a fantastic use for these LiPo thingies....I often see them in model shops taking up shelf space & wonder what on earth they could be used for.....dont know

I did hear that some people actually use them to power models with but that can't be true.....can it?? wink 2

It certainly cannot!!!!

There is only one way to power a model and that is with a bloomin great i/c on the front!!!!!!!

As Jim would say, electric my a£5e!!!!!!