Leccy Flight Gurus Needed

Hi guys. I need some advice on a cheaper power train for my Air Blaster. The model should weigh in at about 1.1lb. The suggested (expensive) fit is:

AXI 2212/26 brushless

Jeti Advance 18amp ESC

4 Hitec HS85 mini servos

2100mah 3S Lipo

I would like cheaper, but not rubbish, alternative to the above items please.

Advert

Seems you are targeting the 180-200 watt motor range.

I would recommend Giant Cod, BRC or Robotbirds. Look at one in their outrunner range. Axi are very good but expensive. I have HET. Max, E sky, Tornado, Keda,Xtra, Tower Pro, all have been good enough. Like HET the best.

I would use a bigger speed contrioller, again budget. Range about 20-30w to ensure robustness, again budget unless doing 3d, helicopter, they need the fine step control, that budgets lack.

Erfolg

This is more like a 100-120 watt motor ( on 3s Lipo ) and yes Shaun, its almost exactly the same as the AXI you mentioned. The included ESC in the deal I linked to is already more than enough at 20A, and I have used this brand in smaller models with no problems whatsover ( mind you I am on 2.4Ghz )

it really depends on what sort of performance you want and final AUW. Assuming AUW is 16oz then 100Watts will be good, but not ballistic, for ballistic, you want closer to 150 watts per pound.

If using a 3s battery, ( and anything bigger will be too much and HEAVY ) then reckon on about 10.5 Volts in use, so to get 150 Watts you need 150 / 10.5 which equals....14.2 ( amps ).

You can achieve this by using a slightly bigger prop ( which is more efficient anyway ). You really ought to get a "Whattmeter" or similar to accuratey monitor the Amps.

Too many amps, and your motor /esc/ will let out the magic smoke

this would also be good choice.

Oh, and a happy whatsits to you and yours too - when I am gonna get an invite to fly down at your site?....... with a nice brekky first and of course, sticky buns

Well for starters, its 12 quid just for postage. You dont have any knowledge of the brand ( although the pentium ESCs are good budget units with a good reputation in the USA ). The KV is a bit high for your application, and woiuld be better swinging a smaller prop than you are using. What if it goes tits up - how are you going to get on returning / querying it etc etc. Although I have bought stuff from Ebay, for something like this, frankly, I would stick with a UK dealer such as Puffin, BRC, Robotbirds, Giantcod etc..... there are plenty of good UK dealers stocking this type of motor at very reasonable prices.

The ones I mentioned earlier fitted YOUR criteria of "cheaper but not rubbish"

Well the problem with the servos is the torque. If the kit manufacturer recommends the HS85s then I am reluctant to suggest you use a mini low torque job like the 9g sg90. This ( and the BRC minis ) are low torque models for lightweight models with a pull of only around 1.2K/G cm, whereas the HS85s are rated at over twice that - 3KG per c/m.

I am not saying they wont work, but you see the problem

The following all provide SIMILAR  specs of the Hitec ones, but at differing costs.

GWS
Weight: 17 grams
Dimensions: 30.86mm x 16.1 mm x 26.5mm
Operating Speed (4.8V no load): 0.13sec/60 degrees
Stall Torque (4.8V): 25oz/in (2.4 kg/cm)
Operating Voltage: 4.8/6V

SUPERTEC MINI /MICRO
Dimensions (mm): 14.0 x 28.0 x 29.8
Weight (grams): 28.0
Speed (sec): 0.17
Torque (Kg.cm): 5.40
Ball Raced: Yes

SuperTec Park Flyer std.
Dimensions (mm): 16.2 x 30.8 x 28.5
Weight (grams): 18.0
Speed (sec): 0.18
Torque (Kg.cm): 2.80
Ball Raced: No

Try Steve Webbs servo shop for a good range of servos.

As I say...'tis the torque specs which are quite high for what is really only a lightweight model ( approx 1- 1.2 lbs right ? ) and only the supplier can inform as to why they specify them.....I dont know the model - is it extreme 3d or summat - with huge barn doors as ailerons and the like ??

PS did you get my email re: the LiPos ?

Timbo

Yes I have misspelled W for amps, misread Kg for Lbs.

I understand your position on servos and their torque. Yet I tend to be a liitle more adventourous with my selection.

Why? Because today we often are using two servos to drive the aerolons, where in the past we would use one. Many of us in the dim and distant past used low powered servos by todays standards (Linwood, fleet, Waltron). More in keeping with budget mini servos in pwer, speed and resolution.

I have an inherant fondess for the GWS, particularly for the HP version of the type L Park model. I use the Tower 90, and have broke one (maybe not the most robust) although they claim Nylon gears I believe.

I have bought a number of Esky from HK (keeping below the £18), which seem OK, but documentation on performance has been limited. I have some reservations.

I agree with the notes you have written, with very slight qualification 

Erfolg 

Hi Erfolg, the recommendations I suggested were based on the wrong information being supplied.

The aeroplane does NOT require the larger more powerful sevos originally quoted, but we sorted this out at the end.  I agree that due to the amazing choice and range available these days, we are spoilt!  I was just a little reluctant to recommend a lower spec when the post asked for recommendations for alternatives to a particular servo specified.

It is always easier to suggest others when someone simply asks " what servo do ya reckon would be OK for "X" type of aeroplane"

Timbo

I use a mixture of Brand names, Futaba and Budget. I have trouble identifying any real differences between the budget and big Brands, except price.

Some members of our club always seem to have the odd story about a budget widget. Yet are strangely reticent about Brand name failures. I know of at least one big name Czech controller and motor failing (separately). I have seen some equipment failures, which seemed to be due to over-propping, rather than poor design/manufacture issues.

I do like to keep things simple and cheap. I just swear by my watt/amp meter, seperate the speed controller/motor from the receiver/aerial.

Good advice on equipment, but i think that installation and keeping within operational parameters is very important.

Erfolg