New Models With FPV Built IN

Hi all,

Just thought i would throw this into the forum fire. I saw an advert in RCM&E and wondered how it would affect the park flying scene. It was a heli with FPV built in, a little screen on the TX so you could see what the heli could see, at first i was impressed with what models are able to do straight from the box and i looked on the web for it. As it turns out there are 2 heli's and a small glider for sale, i thought cor thats good, a glider, as i have not ventured into heli's yet, that would be fun! Then i thought of people flying without actually looking at the model as it would be very tempting to do, not good! What do you think?

1 we dont want to get bad names especially in parks and public places

2 we dont want any accident with people or property

3 dont want to lose our flying spots as its all too easy to do

am i worrying too much? Lets hope if people read the instructions with these models that it has all the info they need to know about this worry ay

Advert

I saw a couple of models on the Century stand at Weston Park. The plane has the ability to transmit pictures and record, the Heli can only view. The problem is that someone would buy it and go for a fly - out of ground site, then get lost and crash, either to out-of-range of the tx, or flat battery trying to get back.

The best idea would be to limit the range of FPV, so after 300m, say, the screen goes off, allowing not to get far - and POSTING A MASSIVE WARNING IN THE INSTRUCTIONS IN BOLD & CAPITALS!!!

Ad's I had the same thoughts - on the face of it I think it is potentially irresponsible for any magazone to promote this product without some additional advice on the legal position of FPV int he UK; perhpas they could comment?

Then again I guess most of the people who buy RCME are actual flyers and probably know the rules

For these things to be freely available for the general public is a problem (just like all other flying 'toys' for those of us who act and fly responsibly. Maybe the time has come for the BMFA to become more active in trying to prevent the irresponsible sale of such products although I am not too sure how they could do this? Anyone got any ideas?

The 4 rotor drones that are available for use with your IPod/IPhone for the last couple of years are "sold" from non-model related sources so they will be hard to stop.

I note in this months mags that CML have introduced a FPV plane complete with transmitter that lets you view the camera video live, but they do say the video range is limited to 400m

• 1 month later...

How do I make a clover leaf aerial for my 5,8 Ghz FPV TX ?

I understand that just about any clover leaf will work no matter how badly it's made. However.a bad aerial will have reduced range and could cause standing wave feedback that will damage the TX .

Hence my question: How do I make and test the clover leaf?

Grandad Mick