Peter Millers Harlequin Build Blog (electric conversion)

It isn't the cost of electric flight that puts me off, I agree it is cheaper. But for me it isn't, like Geoff said, I have been brought up in a world of glow fuel and four strokes, so for the resources we already have (fuel, loads of engine mounts, starter, glow plugs etc) it is cheaper for me, and I just like engines! Had I been raised in a world of batteries and electric motors etc, it would be completely different.

I like electric flight- much of my learning was done on a Multiplex Minimag, an electric trainer. Our Foam-e Wot 4 is brilliant. I just prefer engines, because for me it is cheaper, and I just like them! Hence the reason a MDS 38 is on the front of my Funfly other than an electric motor.

I also know virtually nothing about electric flight. For me, all the escs and motors are very confusing! One day I will try out an electric ducted fan model, ready for a project to build an RC Concorde when I am older

CS

Advert

Posted by Geoff Bradley on 06/07/2012 22:31:19:

Mmmm - agree 100% about the silence but it makes flying more of a challenge - you can't hear engine loadings caused by the elements so your reactions are down to visual connection with the aircraft. Diversity is a challenge !!! EDF - mmmm why not Balsa ?

It will be balsa, EDF will power it (Electric ducted fan, a fan driven by an electric motor) It is a long term project, I have made some plans for chuck gliders to start off.

I like a challenge. I have flown our Foam e Wotty (completely silent, you can hear the prop wash and the swish from the air over the wings, quite nice actually!) and it is different to flying the IC planes. But for some reason, I feel more satisfied after flying an IC plane, no idea why, I just do. By the way, Saitos are great- our old 45 ran perfectly, then years of doing nothing later we ran it, still perfect.

Eck- Not a hooligan! A 52 sounds pretty nice. Someone has put a 56 in a Funfly, bet that goes!

CS

Geoff, you want to see my 46 sized YT International Paragon. Not light and out of control at all. Smooth, precise and will fly in a 20 mph wind with authority. Some electric models will feel a bit too light (I dislike foam models for this reason - too floaty), but that needn't be the case with the big beast motors you can get now.

Moving on to the cowl...

Clamped and glued ..

Harlequin Build Blog

ready for fitting and shaping..

Harlequin Build Blog

I transfered the thrust line from F1 and projected it to the front face to ensure the motor could be lined up correctly before shaping. I then drew the outline of F1 onto the back face for shaping. I found a shortage of material in the two upper corners so I glued two 1/4 square pieces (not shown) which also gave it a bit of extra strength...

Harlequin Build Blog

Harlequin Build Blog

The motor was then fitted plus the cowl fitting blocks...

Harlequin Build Blog

With one of my favourite tools( David Razor Plane) I roughed out the shape..

I find it very enjoyable removing lots of balsa as the material takes shape....

That's enough for now ...time for bed........

Harlequin Build Blog

Through curiosity I just did a search for the Zip razor plane and discovered they are still in the market place - £3.99 from The Balsa Cabin. The only problem I have with my plane is that blade adjustment is a bit hit and miss - from the pics it looks as if you can adjust the blade from the side on the Zip. Is it easy to do Peter? - if so I think I'll buy one !!

Yes, very easy to do. The extra blades that you can buy at the same time are not bad but They work best with the BLue Gillette razor blades which can still be bought on Ebay.

Damn, I shouldn't have said that. The prices will go up.

Stainless steel blades edges bend. Blue Gillette doesn't.

Buy two. after some time (Years depending on use) harder woods can distort the part of the plane that supports the blade and then you might be glad of a spare.

Edited By Peter Miller on 10/07/2012 14:23:13

More work on the cowl....

Using my cheap little tool for keeping the side faces symetrical....

Harlequin Build Blog

next shape the angles to suite the battery cover...

Harlequin Build Blog

Looks OK but a bit square...

Harlequin Build Blog

Front rounded and blended - I think it will be ok - I'll leave it for now and see how it looks when the wings are in position and the undercarriage and wheels in place...

Harlequin Build Blog

Ply inserts, for fitting screwson each side face, fitted and blended...

Harlequin Build Blog

I've not done the outlet holes yet - I'll leave them until I'm sure about the shape.

I think it's time to start on the wings .......