E-Max GT 2205/33 chocolate fireguard !

English Bunt.

Hi all

Im having problems with a new Emax GT2205/33 motor,its the prop boss size thats causing the headache.

The boss for the prop to sit on measures just under 7mm so i have to ream/drill my GWS SF props to fit,its worth mentioning that its a built in saver on the bell housing type.

Not the end of the world i hear you say but without a pillar drill or jig it isnt always possible to get a good central hole reamed.

I dont get through a lot of props but im frustrated that i cant just buy an off the shelf prop to fit and forget.

The motor is a park-fly indoor type so fitting an APC is probably a little heavy for my new crack Bipe...any ideas anybody???

My Dealer has suggested"just ream em"but its not always 'just' going down like thatcrying 2

Any help greatfully received..

Alex

Advert

The proper device is actually a thing called a pin drill, it is a drill with a plain guide on the end, and the cutting part is actually squared off. A typical industrial use is making a flat bottomed recess at one end of a hole, so that a cap screw can sit down inside the hole. What you want is one where the outside diameter is the size you are enlarging the hole to, and the guide pin is the same size as the existing hole. This is not always available. I have one for somewhat larger props, where I had to turn a small bush to go on the guide pin. But having done that, it is easy to enlarge the hole and since it is guided by the existing hole it comes out true.

Given access to a lathe, some silver steel, and a good propane torch it is quite easy to make a simple pin drill for any combination of sizes you might need.

John

Posted by English Bunt. on 28/06/2012 10:02:54:

More hassle!

Rated for 2s...dont make me laugh...wouldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding.....

Alex

But the motor is 2 or 3s capable according to the manufacturer's specification.

Also, I never had a prop yet that didn't need reaming or needing a sizing ring fitting, and I've used literally dozens. I don't see a problem to be honest, surely fettling and modifying is all part of the hobby?

Edited By Bill_B on 28/06/2012 11:46:48

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had this problem. I have recently purchased an emax GT2826/06 motor. The Allen Key type screws that fix the prop adapter to the motor are to my mind very short with only about one or two threads giving purchase. They could be 2 or 3 mm longer. I know I tend to over engineer but I just don't trust so little thread keeping the prop on. My question is anybody know what thread these scews are and any one who supplies them. Thanks for any help.

Edited By SteveH on 10/07/2012 17:48:41

Posted by Bill_B on 28/06/2012 11:45:21:
Posted by English Bunt. on 28/06/2012 10:02:54:

More hassle!

Rated for 2s...dont make me laugh...wouldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding.....

Alex

But the motor is 2 or 3s capable according to the manufacturer's specification.

Also, I never had a prop yet that didn't need reaming or needing a sizing ring fitting, and I've used literally dozens. I don't see a problem to be honest, surely fettling and modifying is all part of the hobby?

True but i was hoping a simple fitment was instore....not a problem just a minor hassle ontop of the fact that the motor just doesnt cut the mustard on 2s.

In all honesty it wouldnt have been an issue had i had more choice of motors to choose from at my local stockist.

Alex

Edited By Bill_B on 28/06/2012 11:46:48

Alex the motor might be absolutely fine on 2S if you use a bigger prop.

I have no experience of it however so can't really advise how much bigger.

If I were in your position I'd be buying a handful of different sized props and using a wattmeter to measure the power each uses. To both get the most out of the motor and to make sure I don't burn it out.
For reaming the prop, just google "prop reamer", there are plenty out there.

Thanks guys.....tried the recommended prop range too,it just isnt up to it.

On the bench its showing 33W on a 9x4.7 SF-very poor,and in the airframe it wont pull away at 45 degrees from my hand...that dawg dont hunt!crying 2

The 3s 500's im now using are fine on an 8x4.3 with the new GT peaking at 105W-settling at 90W...unlimited vert and very slow when you want it to yes

I think its just another manufacturer that diddnt do their homework with their new product before it was shipped over here.

Alex