This slope soaring sim is fantastic and free!

dorset flyer again

Hello chaps, DF (dorset flyer) here again.

I recently bought a sony android tablet, the s version, and I was browsing rc games and found a slope soaring sim called picosim, it is available on both android and windows systems and it is the most realistic slope sim i have everplayed , best thing is its free! there is also a paid version which on android is only 2 pounds, and gives u a few more models and terrains, some terrains are photo panoramic and included models include the le fish amoungst many other.

I found it it very realistic and just had to share it with you chaps here.

Google picosim and try it..... I am sure u will be hooked! (also really usefull for training newcomers to sloping).

Regards, dorset flyer ;0)

Advert

Arrghhh.. sorry about the spelling gaffe .... I did try the clearview related sim but the graphics on the models turned grey at distance, I know its not my tablet as its duel core nvidia tegra 2 with the latest version of android so I dont know what happened there, oh I have to admit to being a bit of angry birds addict! blush

• 3 months later...

I have been waiting to maiden my Wild thing recently built for a couple of weeks now and I saw your posting regarding the Pica sim simulator for tablets. I eagerly downloaded it, got the thing up and running and was quite dismayed as to how difficult it was to fly. I know simulators are only a representation of the real thing but I didnt think I would make such a pigs ear of it on the tablet. How realistic is Pica sim ? I am not as eager to fly the wild thing any more. sad

Posted by Dean B on 17/10/2012 22:53:18:

I have been waiting to maiden my Wild thing recently built for a couple of weeks now and I saw your posting regarding the Pica sim simulator for tablets. I eagerly downloaded it, got the thing up and running and was quite dismayed as to how difficult it was to fly. I know simulators are only a representation of the real thing but I didnt think I would make such a pigs ear of it on the tablet. How realistic is Pica sim ? I am not as eager to fly the wild thing any more. sad

Hi Dean, don't let it put you off! ;0)

The sim is in my opinion very realistic, but nothing will exactly match the real thing!

Try a few different scenerys and also have a play with the weather setting etc, each scenery has its own unique lift and wind patterns as well as areas of dead or turbulant air depending on terrain.

l'll be honest, I maidened my Zagi before using the sim and as it bounces (just like the Wildthing) I say just go for it with the maiden and treat the sim as a tool to aid learning. :0)

Best thin I found with the sim is learning to fly faster planes and practice landing again.

Go for it with the WT! they are (from what I have learned on this forum) almost indestructible!

Have fun and best of luck! :0)

Oh yes, Wildthings are virtually indestructable. Mine has been given a good thrashing, including combat, for over a year now and I haven't, (touch wood) broken anything on it at all. The wings are bent upwards a bit now and so I have them to sort out but other wise Dean B, don't let the sim put you off. The Wildthing, although very aerobatic and manouverable, is as stable as they come.

If you have a concern, try flying it the 1st time in just a 10-15mph wind rather than when it's blowing a hoolli.

I'll have to take a look at this Picasim as the sloping section in Phoenix is pants.

Stere

A470Soaring.blogspot.com

I'll add my name to the list of Rc pilots that have found the likes of the WT extremely robust so if you can fly in a field then don't worry.

I find most simulators harder than the real thing but it's true that this little gem DFA has found is brilliant. What you can gain from it is an appreciation of the effects of wind & lift when slope soaring so stick with it but don't let it put you off.

As for your first attempt at sloping - get stuck in and fly it backwards first time out wink 2:

See - you will probably start off a bit dodgy but you will soon be sloping with the rest of the chaps.

Oh, and here's a link to the PicaSim download at Google Play.

Thanks DFA for telling us about it thumbs up

Edited By Ian Jones on 18/10/2012 12:11:43

Aha something has clicked today, managed an 8 min flight on the simulator. Cant manage more than a few seconds with the flying wing though which is what concerned me. Maybe the program needs a bit of tweaking for that model. Excelllent video Ian thanks for sharing that one. Thats how I imagined it would be like.

Dean