Cheap Tools - A Warning...

Hi Guys...

Most of my tools are 'proper' Snap-on or Mac, etc, but I do visit those cheap 'Tool tents' at the shows, for things like spring clips, clamps, etc...

Well, i've got two Squares, from one of these tents, which have crept into my box...

Anyway..

I marked out the spars n ribs on a wing, then checked later and ALL were 'off'... !!

I re-marked them a second time, only to find after that the original lines were now square, the second off... ?!?!?!?

Confused, I got the other square out, and found this...

un-square square 1

un-square square 3

If you look closely, you can see a marked line thats above the 'wonky' square on the right or top and emerges under it at the other end...

I was flipping it over between re-measuring, hence the mis-matches.. !! I might not have noticed otherwise...

So, now i've re-marked the foam a THIRD time, but atleast it's now square..

Cheap tools are cheap for a reason... !!!

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 08/07/2012 17:57:55

Advert

Yes Chrisie, I have a 1m spirit level I picked up cheap somewhere. When I came to use it it was so far out I could tell by eye - without recourse to another level to check it - that it was miles out! When I did check it using a clinometer at work, when the bubble was centred the "level" was actually tilting at over 3 degrees!

As you say cheap tools are OK for the odd clamp and non-crucial stuff, but in the end you get what you pay for.

BEB

right now this is where i stand, i buy expensive tools because you will save in the long run, in time and money spend once enjoy forever, not spend 3 or 4 times and replace every year or so, i have a set of marple chisles that i got given when i was younger, these things are the rolls royce of tools and have never let me down, mind you my perma grit stuff is expensive but well worth it for the job they do

Agree with Aaron . . My Beech Handled Marples Chisel set was given to me when I got the City & Guilds Carpenters diploma --- in 1966 when I was 21 They have seen out two wives and thousands of Government Ministers since then and i sharpen them on a 50 Year Old two wheeled grinder .Permagrit are the business . Neill produce great padsaws but dont get any Sears-Roebuck Long shafted Pozidrive screwdrivers only if you want more deflection than 45/45 degrees when increasing pressure on an ergonomic handle .!