Top Flite Spitfire Build (1st RC Build kit)

Advert

Couple of update images attached with parts tried up to each other.

Got most of the retract air lines and fittings in the wing assembly.

Found that i have trimmed the canopy edge lip off too much! But on the flip side should be able to make it look more realistic this way.

Edited By Nickaliath on 05/11/2012 21:33:30

Nice build!

I have one of these (unbuilt) in the loft ,complete with engine, spinner, retracts and wheels. It was a gift from a friend who bought it and decided not to continue with modelling.

Seeing this build has given me the bug to start on it! I haven't done a kit build since about 1992 but I had a count up, I have built 8 planes so far. Just don't want to start until I can do it justice.

The engine I have been given with it is an RCV91CD which hopefully should be a good match.

Look forward to more posts.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

As i had a day off today, I managed to get a bit done on the build.

Got the cowl mountings fitted and cowl fitting better.

Made a mounting up for the servo that controls the air valve on the retract setup.

Need to get some fuel proof paint, if anyone can recommend a supplier in UK.

Hi mate.

Good build so far. As to the fuel proofer, check http://balsamart.co.uk .They have quite good selection, I'm sure you will find something. I personally used just Aerokote - two part fuel proofer and could recommend it. Just remember to add a little more catalyst than is says on the label.

Cheerswink
Tom

Edited By Major on 13/03/2013 16:12:44

Hi All

I am also new to RC Aircraft build and to the forum

i am building a sig Kavalier trainer from balsa kit first but have purchased a Tony Nijheus Hurricane kit and have a large pile of balsa to sought out

i have posted some pictures as i go along

I am enjoying every minute but like you have to take my time

best of luck

Glen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

The glassing of the air frame will need some very light cloth, 25gm/m2 and not too much resin. The resin is quite critical for an easy life, try this stuff, it is quite thin epoxy (don't use polyester) and it will not leave a waxy surface.

This outfit do some very authentic paint too, although I understand it does need fuelproofing now.

Good luck

Alex smiley

• 2 months later...

Hi Nickaliath

I'm currently building one of these myself, and we are just about at the same stage.

I have a thread going on RC groups in the glow to electric conversion section.

having just finished sheeting the top of my wings I can offer you some advice if required.

phil

Hello, Yeah any advise is more than welcome

I had the idea to mount in wing section from another topflite spitfire build i was watching.

Thought it would distribute weight better.

Does anyone have any idea how long the pressure stays in the tank for on the air retracts?

The way mine works it leaks a small amount of air every time its operated through the switch valve.

Edited By Nickaliath on 29/06/2013 11:54:38

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...