Flying Legends Mini Series Mustang

Stephen Jones

Advert

Very useful thread - shame it was too late for me but thought i would share my experince of the FL Spitfire.

Having flow for 33 years and promoted electic flying since about 1997 i actually have very little free time on my hands these days and also tend to work away from home a lot - so smallish electrics are ideal to take with me for evening play time!

So whilst working in Slough i popped into Slough models and saw the Mustand and Spit on offer - the Spit being £5 cheaper than the Mustang - they had no salable ones in stock (pallet had been dropped) so i went back the next week to grab one - had taken RX and batteries with me ready so was planning on a quick job.

Got back to my hotel and opened the box - no speed controller, no guns etc., no weights ... back to the shop where they raided another box for the bits - no sign of any weights though - also had to get 2 new servos as none of mine were the right size and they struggled in the shop to find any that were a good fit!

Had already read some comments so sanded the elevator pushrod and set the CofG where it should be - made sure everything was just right and off to the field.

Got a good firm hand launch from one of the guys - flipped over on its back almost straight away - as i like a lot of movement i manged to drag it back and fought with it for half a circuit until i managed to belly flop it in long grass - not too much damage, just the firewall as usual

Determined to get this thing in the air i made a good solid repair on it, added some more nose weight - checked it over again and back to the field - this time it just sank like a brick and made a real mess of the front.

Seeing that there was clearly something wrong i make more repairs, changed the motor and prop and speed controller to make sure it would have plenty of umph! and overcome its weight issues.

Back to the field - a really good hand launch - rolled on its back again - totally unflyable!

So now it sits in a sad state while i decide if i should do anything with it or just put it in the bin!

I have flown all sorts as well as designing and building my own planes but have never had anything that flies (or doesn't fly) like this thing.

I was pretty unhappy and decided to e-mail Ripmax about it ( i work very long weeks so a phone call just wasn't practicle) - but it appears that Ripmax don't have an e-mail address on their site - or even a contact form - I wonder why!

So there you go - got that off my chest - if Ripmax or Slogh models are reading this and want to give me my money back then great - i have heard that the Mustang is much better and looking at it the build and aerodynaics are very different so i can see why

So my advice ... dont buy the Spit, buy the Mustang at your own risk

As posted before in this thread, i have had a bad experiance with the spit. I wouldn't go so far as saying don't buy it, but will say that it requires a lot of work for it to be flyable.

I would say that the firewall needs beefing up.

The ailerons pushrod design replaced with a striaght coupling to a servo embedded into each wing.

Some sort of landing gear or skid design to protect the bottom.

the whole seam around the model re-glued. plus i would probably add extra ribbing in the fuse and carbon in the wings.

• 3 weeks later...

I was almost tempted by the P51 the other week - saw a poster in a Hobby Stores shop window saying that it included a 3S LiPo and 2 mini servos as well as the motor/ESC etc. at the £29.99 price but when I checked in the shop that wasn't the case...then we looked at the notice more carefully and it seemed that it also included intermediate experience!

I suppose that's a good shortcut for a learner..why bother with all that buddy lead, A cert, B cert nonsense when for less than thirty quid you can get it out of a cardboard box!

Edited By Martin Harris on 29/09/2012 00:36:58

• 4 months later...
I'm in the middle of assembling the Mustang.
First impressions when I opened the box was not to bad, you pays your money you take your chance.
I have carried out numerous modifications which include fitting 2 aileron servos, cutting off the control surfaces and making new hinges.
Also I glass fibred inside where the bulk head joins the fuz'.
I have re-glued just about everything due to bits falling off!!
I was pleasantly surprised to find that the fuselage and wings sit square.
I hope to maiden it on the weekend.
Fingers crossed.

• 1 month later...